StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve just changed the chain and sprockets of my 2012 Glee but there seems to be a buzzing noise coming from the front sprocket. I put my phone in my bike boots and recorded this sound (Noise). I am hoping that it is the absence of the OEM rubber dampener on the new DID front sprocket, but I’m also worried about bearings, camshaft tensioner, and my mechanical nativity. Does anyone know what it could be?
  • The chain is adjusted to spec and well-lubed.
  • Front sprocket nut is slightly over torqued.
  • The rear wheel is aligned.
  • Fluids are new.
  • Valve clearances and spark gaps are spec.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
If everything was OK before I would almost like to bet you that the chain is too tight. Make sure you have more than the specification minimum slack. Rotate the rear wheel and look for the tightest spot of the chain. At that spot make sure you have at least specification slack.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,608 Posts
There is a substantial difference in noise between the OEM rubber dampened front sprocket and the aftermarket all steel units. I suspect that is what you are hearing, your link isn't usable.

But like mentioned above, I would double check chain tension. If not too tight, I am near certain it is simply the difference in sprocket design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You guys are legends. Cheers for your responses. Ive updated the link.
I’ve loosened the chain to 35mm (1.5 inches) and the sound has completely gone. Sounds a bit normal now. I might still go for the front sprocket with rubber in the future. The bike vibrates a lot more in comparison. Thanks for replying so fast.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
JT makes a rubber dampened sprocket. Amhik.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just checked the front sprocket, 12,500 miles done since I had a new set of JT sprockets and DID chain fitted, I use a scottoiler and clean the chain with kerosense sometimes, anyway I think I might try fitting a new front sprocket now before it starts to wear too bad,
think I'll get a JT rubber damped version, how difficult a job is it and any tips? never done this before, always take it to a mechanic for 'bigger' jobs. what is the stock gearing on a 2013 650?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Search here for sprocket change and you will find a bunch of posts/ threads.

Biggest problem is likely to break the thread-lock on the counter-sprocket. Do this before removing or loosening the rear wheel. I put a 2x2 through the rear wheel. Watch not to crush any vital parts on the right side!

Then you need a sturdy beaker bar and an extension pipe, say 3 feet long. Then its a peace of cake to loosen that nut. The rest is common sense. Use blue (not red) thread-locker when you re-attach the nut.

NOTE: The counter sprocket is symmetrical. Means you can turn it around and extend it's life that way. But if it were me taking the trouble to take it off I would as well replace it then.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY -...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts