StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike with a chain, and I figure it's normal, but thought I would run it by you guys. When taking off from a stop, I hear the front sprocket/chain clatter a little for a few seconds as I get up to speed. I have an OEM 16T front sprocket and a little under 1.5" of slack, cleaned and lubed regularly.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The keys in his Avatar look like they are from the new 2012+ Glee... However, I think the DL650 uses a 15T OEM front sprocket whereas the DL1000 is a 17T stock sprocket...???

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have no idea what Strom you own.
It's a 2012 DL50. As a general question, I didn't think it mattered. My assumtion is that all chain drives have some counter-sprocket/chain slap from power pulses at low RPMs.

I'm not lugging the engine, but I pretty much start engaging the clutch at 1400 RPMS-- it just seems like the most effective use of my time, rather than waiting for the RPMs to come up a bit more.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm not lugging the engine, but I pretty much start engaging the clutch at 1400 RPMS-- it just seems like the most effective use of my time, rather than waiting for the RPMs to come up a bit more.
Sounds too low to me... My bike idles at 1350rpm... If you can't wait what constitutes mere nano seconds for the revs to climb a bit further... Maybe throttling up earlier , perhaps...? :confused:

·
Administrator
16,990 Posts
So first bike with a chain, were you used to a belt drive or shaft drive cruiser twin by chance? And these bikes and engines make many strange noises, and be sure not to lug the engine....these like to rev!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts