StromTrooper banner

Front sprocket inspection - NO TOOLS

1521 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Black Lab
To you that insist the front sprocket can only be checked by pulling off the cover....there is a way...not a good one but a way. This inspection requires NO tools. Lay on your back with the bike on a service stand. Look along the chain line into the rear of the case cover and you can see part of the sprocket teeth. With a flashlight, look at the sprocket teeth while slowly turning the rear wheel. Look for the tip of the teeth to have a thin flat machined spot, every single tooth. If the teeth look like they have sharp edges....you have a worn sprocket worthy of checking better by pulling the cover. If you see a broken tooth....done deal, replace the sprocket ASAP.

Do not only look at the rear sprocket, the front wears 2 to 3 times as fast.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
Another thing that you can do is, the next time you do remove the countersprocket cover, cut a "notch" out of the bottom of it. Doing this allows excess dirt and debris to drop out. It also lets you make an easier inspection.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea BL, can you see teeth or just chain?

I also like the guy..(can't remember who...dam) who drilled a hole in the side and plugged it with a rubber grommet.

Me, I spend a lot of time on my back and knees looking up under my stroms dress.....yes I am a pervert....no make that a VEEvert

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
Good idea BL, can you see teeth or just chain?

I also like the guy..(can't remember who...dam) who drilled a hole in the side and plugged it with a rubber grommet.

Me, I spend a lot of time on my back and knees looking up under my stroms dress.....yes I am a pervert....no make that a VEEvert
Randyo is he inventor of that inspection hole.

Mine was inspired by his.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.