StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Trying to "restore" a 2012 DL650A, has been sitting for a couple years. Wanted to change out the sprockets and the chain. However, one of the front sprocket cover bolts (bottom right - the tricky one behind the shifter) is stripped to heck. Unlike some of the posts I saw on my search on the site, or on videos, the bolt is not a socket head, but is instead (assuming it's the same size as the other two) a 4mm button hexagon socket. I cannot, for the life of me, get that thing to budge. I obviously can't use a hex key, since it's stripped, and even after WD-40 a pair of locking pliers won't touch it. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would tap it pretty good first to try to loosen any thread locker that may be on it. If you have a socket 4 mm hex, that's what I would use in the hope it will bite enough to get the sucker out.

Drill into it and try to get a screw extractor in it.

If that does not work drill it out until the head falls of.

If nothing works look for a replacement cover on ebay and just pry the current on off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Blau. I'll give that a try. Looks like the cover is only like $40, too, so I won't worry too much if I end up smashing the cover in frustration. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Left hand drill would be my goto - it'll either take the head off or back it out and with it out of the way and the other screws out the cover will come off leaving you a stub to swear at and possibly get that out via the known methods. (Mig welding a nut on top for example)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
If all of the above advice don't get the job done, perhaps you could try force a multi-spline bit into the hex bolt head. That is, before you go with the drilling / easyout / lefthand drill advice or trying to weld a nut on top of the existing bolt.
I had a similar problem with a windscreen mounting bolt. I used a hammer to force the multi-spine bit into the allen bolt head. Make sure that you drive the multi-spline tool in deep enough for a good grip inside the bolt head. Note, you will damage the multi-spline bit, so be prepared to sacrifice the bit for this task.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts