StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change the front sprocket to a 16T ...Before I put a impact gun on this thing are the threads leftee loosee or rightee loosee....I know Harley front belt sprockets are rightee loosee ...please help Thanks in advance ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lefty. Standard threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sprocket

I changed mine when the bike was new and the sprocket was really torqued on had a difficult time breaking it loose..............get somebody to step hard on the brake to lock the wheel and then you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do not forget to bend the retaining washer to the original flat shape so the nut will turn. DAMHIK :headband: Learned that on my old SV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No impact necessary. Use a long (24") breaker bar. I used my 3/4" ratchet set and simply used the ratchet. I didn't even need to use the breaker bar. I'd be very hesitant to hook an impact wrench to any part of an engine.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
An impact wrench works great for taking off the sprocket nut. Even if the nearly impossible happened and it turned over the engine, it would be in the correct direction. Just don't try putting the nut on with one.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
No impact necessary. Use a long (24") breaker bar. I used my 3/4" ratchet set and simply used the ratchet. I didn't even need to use the breaker bar.
Agreed. My impact wrench is probably the least-used tool I have, usually not worth firing up the air compressor. It is useful when you can't get a long socket wrench or breaker bar on the fitting for reasons of space, or in cases like the allen-head screw on the bottom of your fork tubes where you want a quick jolt to prevent the rod turning inside.

A 24" breaker bar with a normal person pushing down with 150# of force generates 300 ft/lb. If that doesn't do it (YIKES!) lengthen it with a piece of pipe -- or invite a fat friend over to help.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
16t

Istalled the new 16T this morning ...I was a piece of cake...instead of a impact wrench I used a 1 inch rachet...with metal bar thru wheel to hold it... Its raining here Hurricane coming have to want to see results...ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
516 Posts
You will be pleased withe the results.
Bill

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You will be pleased withe the results.
Bill
I didn't like it either, would rather have the torque, but that's the beauty of a chain driven bike, you can tune it to your taste.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I went down 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and kept the front stock. I like it on the highway, but miss the pep at slower speeds. When my chain wears out I will probably go back to stock. It's a bit of a toss-up.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I commute 60 miles each way to work and this is my Wee's primary mission. Would it be better to up the front tooth count or lower the rear tooth count to get better mileage on the interstate and or is the mileage gain negligible?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I commute 60 miles each way to work and this is my Wee's primary mission. Would it be better to up the front tooth count or lower the rear tooth count to get better mileage on the interstate and or is the mileage gain negligible?
Your right wrist has more to do with mileage than a minor sprocket change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
16 t

Thanks guys for all the great info....If after the inatall the bike is to tall I will just run ti back a gear on the back roads....And if 1st gear is to tall I will go back to the 15T Thanks again ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I made the 16 change getting ready for a Saddlesore 1000 ride. I thought it might make 1st gear too tall, but I really like it. If I was going to do a lot of off-road stuff, I might put the 15 back on. But for now, the 16 is right where it belongs...on the bike. :thumbup:

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Hi, Although going up in the front or down in teeth on the rear sprocket will get you to the same gearing ratios....,

It is my experience that if you maintain the rear sprocket size and go up the one tooth in the front counter shaft sprocket your bike will have an easier time in delivering the engines power to the rear well,

I always choose the larger front sprocket whenever it is practical,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 18 of 18 Posts