StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change my tires on my 2009 DL 650 with 65k miles and figure it would be a good time to do any needed work on the front suspension. None has been done before. I haven't noticed any issues, but this is really the only bike I have ridden so I don't have much to compare it to. A couple of years ago one of the tubes was leaking, but I tried the thing with the film negative and it stopped.

Should I just have the shop change the oil in the tubes, or is there something else you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If you work on it change the seals and the bushings. You will be shocked how bad the fork fluid coming out is. And its likely low making the fork air cushion bigger than as per design.

I would get some Intiminator drop in devices and you will be amazed how much nicer your front is after that change. Bad part is then you will want the rear shock improved as well. >:)>:)

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes, fluid at a minimum. I replaced bushings (along with fluid &seals) at around 35K miles since the forks had developed a harsh ride. Now it's at 75K miles and riding harsh again so I'll be rebuilding the forks today.

What I've discovered with suspension upgrades after doing more than I care to admit, is if you don't notice a problem you don't need an upgrade. I only found the Elka shock to be slightly better than stock, but every other upgrade was no better, or was worse than stock. I must be the model rider that the OEM's tune their suspension to.

·
Vendor
4,702 Posts
Me personally, if the seals are not leaking I would not replace them yet. Many bikes go much longer than yours with the stock seals. If your the kind of guy that likes doing maintenance go for it, but I would wait. You might want to check out Sonic Springs site and their spring rate calculator. Having the right spring rate can dramatically improve the bike. There is a spring rate calculator ion the site that takes into account yourt weight and riding style and some otehr factors. . The right springs can transform a DL650 into a very competent sport touring bike and they don't cost much. I paid less than $100 for my fork springs a few years back.

Sonic Springs

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are NOT having any issues why change anything? You'll know when there is an issue. At most, drain and refill the fork oil.
I have an 07' model 650 and think it is the springs are too light for me, as well as having poor damping characteristics. It's works well for it's intended purpose though. For about $450.00 it can be made better with Race Tech Cartridge Emulators, springs, fresh oil and new teflon bushings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts