StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Im ashamed to admit it but I bent my bike.
approx 40km/hr impact under full throttle with an immovable object. left quite the bruise!
currently not working due to health issues (unrelated) and want very much to try to get the bike back on the road. Its not worth much, but hey its my first bike!
dealer wants 3k for two forks and a rim...
have been reading a lot on here (and everywhere else) that the suspension seems to be the weakest link on the bike.
If im going to have to drop money, why not make improvements at the same time?
very mechanically minded, but new to bikes.
found a wrecked bike/salvage yard that can get used parts for 1 grand...are there better options on a budget?
really appreciate the help, and any motivation I can get at this point.
:)
THANKS!

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
If the tubes are the bent part, those are available for about $400 American. seals and bushings are gonna be a bit more.
A rim should be a couple hundred used.
Your fork upgrades are going to be even more.
You don't have to apologize for having a bike Boo-boo, some of us are quite accomplished at that.

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
I had to put one of my forks in a 20 ton press to straighten it enough to get the spring out. So somes of the parts may not be destroyed.
I reused the bushinging because to my untrained eye they looked ok and I'm a cheap screw.I'm pretty sure I put in new seals and dust covers and fork oil.
The Black Lab tutorial leads the way to success.
https://blacklabadventures.com/

THere are guys that straighten rims too depending on how tweaked they are.
Actually depending on how bent the forks are they can be straightened also. If you see a visible crease in the tube it's trash time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
like notacop said. look for some one that can straighten it out. call some frame shops in your area

Reactions: woodenkayaker

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I think there was a post here recently about Italian made fork legs. Can't remember the price but less than OEM. May be worth searching for that info.

Also there are shops that do work on straightening out fork legs, depending on how badly bent they are. Again worth to research.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a wrinkle, bent possibly 10 degrees or so? Visible anyway.
Rim is right wobbly...
My friend (whom I got the bike from) rode it after I bent it, did a wheels and the tire chirped like a plane landing when he finished... So there's definitely a problem with free rotation...
I'll try a frame place.. That's a great idea!
I just don't think I can fix it otherwise :)
Thanks guys! :)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
The post about the Italian made forks, that's what I got. Very convoluted. I ordered through Sasquatch but got shipped from a business in Calif, Socal actually.
It took several weeks because the supply chain is just like that.
Once upon a wreck the frame guy said that if the fork is only a little bent it's harder to get straight than one with a few degrees of oops.
Good luck. if the bike was rideable after with the bent fork, it ain't that far off and will cost a lot less to fix than new parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the eBay links... Are the 650 and 1000 suspensions the same? I've got a 1000.. I think I probably forgot to mention that.
It looks like I'll be rebuilding what I have or buying used. Possible upgrades to replace bent items...
You guys have been very helpful!

Frame shops and bike shops won't touch forks due to liability in my area, new are more then the bike is worth..
Rebuilding can get me better suspension then new parts...
Used items off eBay might be the way to go.. As a backup.. but it will be fun to pull the ones I have apart regardless!
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some photos... Not quite what I was expecting.. Less oil and the spring looks different from the video I watched.. Either his wasn't stock or mines not lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out the white (grey due to oil in picture) piece is a chunk of plastic plumbing!?!?!
Is that safe???

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes I had conduit PVC pipe as a spacer in my forks. Looks like your forks are somehow modified. OEM is a steel pipe spacer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm guessing a previous owner has changed the fork springs, hence the plastic spacer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...I figured new springs..I know it's not Suzuki pipe! Lol
Is there a way to identify the setup?
It seems I need new Chrome tubes but that everything else is just change the oil and reassemble...
Are there other recommendations?
Rubber is in great shape, but I'm sure there is some sort of seal kit.. Is it worth it?
Anything else to consider?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crome inner tubes are 358.70 each.
22.99 for oil
188.75 chain kit.
Plus source a used rim
That's as cheap as I can make it
Aftermarket springs in the bike tho. So that's a plus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome! Thanks for looking out for me! I missed this one!
Are 650 and 1000 compatible??

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Not sure. The internals are certainly not the same.

All I know the diameter of the chromed pipe is the same. Tripple tree is the same diameter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome thank you! Just need the inner tube and rim... :)
Talking to my sister in law today.. She's in Arizona :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts