StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Want to upgrade my front fork cheaply and I've been reading all the threads about: emulators, springs, fork oil. and I was just wondering what if I keep the same springs, forget about emulators and just change the oil thickness?

Will this make my fork a little bit stiffer? actually that's all I want.

Also is there a way to make my forks an inch higher with stock springs? maybe adding a spacer?

All this is because I just bough rox risers and with my current pro tapers I had to buy new front lines (K9 ABS). Won't do the swap myself because a mistake can be fatal. So I am booking my mechanic to do the brakes bleeding and said to myself why don't do something easy and simple to improve the forks without complicating myself like the dudes in this thread: (http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/56303-adjusting-race-tech-emulators-my-bike-strange-12.html). Because 1/4 turn blue or golden springs, oil viscosity in different temperatures, spring preload and predrilled holes. MAN! I am confused and to tell you the truth the V-strom ROCKS in every aspect !!! just dives more than a italian soccer player :green_lol: Found this for some explanation (http://www.fjmods.btinternet.co.uk/emulators.htm)

Thanks for any help :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
all depends on your weight and what your expectation of the suspension is.

many people have stock suspension and are happy with them, many are not.

Springs and oil viscosity suitable to your weight will certainly improve things - intiminator and emulators attempt to minimise the inherent short comings with damper rod design.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I agree with acerider. How much do you weigh? Aggressive rider? 2 up? There are many variables. This is the thread I used as a guide to do it. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341038
I used 12.5 wt and 1.0 springs but the process is the same. If you are unsure about it have it done and watch the process. The forks are much better without the dive when braking heavily, and well worth doing

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Heavier oil alone will help a bit, but to really make it right you'll need better springs.
On the emulators, I think some people made it more complicated than it really needs to be. :) While it is possible to fine tune them even the basic "by the book" install will improve things.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just went to Sonic springs and the recommended oil. Vast improvement. Cut the fork dive by 75%. I'm very happy with the change.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The cheapest way to go half-way is new springs that better suit the rider's weight. Adding cartridge emulators with the new springs -or- stock springs with Ricor Intiminators makes these forks as good as they're going to be (only a very heavy rider will want stiffer springs with Intiminators).

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
... On the emulators, I think some people made it more complicated than it really needs to be. :) .....
:green_lol: some people with intiminators do the same thing!:mrgreen: well maybe just me then!

All in the name of search for perfection!

-----

I say start with spring and oil change - cost very little and can get u about 70% to perfection.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
some people with intiminators do the same thing! well maybe just me then! All in the name of search for perfection!
If you have installed and "tuned" the Intiminators maybe you can help me out. I installed mine with the factory setting and 5W fork oil, but really haven't noticed a dramatic difference over the OEM setup. I'm about 200#, so I thought I would fall into the average range.

Do you have any tips? I'd like to get a more responsive front end on smaller bumps as well as reduce dive.

(Hope this isn't a thread theft.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
THANKS !

Thanks my weight is around 75-80KG geared up. With top box and tank bag so maybe 90 kg all together.

I was thinking about .9 springs and 10 Wt oil. for mostly 1up commuting to work and weekend fun. Some OFF road in fire tracks as well but not too crazy.

I guess my question is if emulators or intimidators WILL really make a difference considering that I am actually happy with the forks and the bike in general (who doesn't love his wee?). the fork is just a little bit too soft.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
what about the diving when breaking? or the small bumps vs big bumps improved? please tell us your weight too calculate.
maybe this thread will help:
Fork Spring Data Thread

just bear in mind that YMMV. My gut feel is that 0.90kg is okay - but u might try 0.85 too - all depends whether u prefer yours firm or a bit more compliant. reducing Brake dive aint the only thing u want to do with suspension.

---------------------
MikeB

Intiminator thread here: very long... and can get a little crazy
Intalled Ricor Intiminators -- excellent results
Intiminator Compared and modified - ADVrider

Two things u may want to consider:

1)
is the oil u are using the same viscosity rating as the one Ricor is talking about. 5wt across brands may give a different rating - look for [email protected]
Peter Verdone Designs - Low Speed Damping

2) what springs are u running - unless u are 70kgs , a correctly rated spring will assist with things generally.

BTW, at some point to get more out of Wee, u have to start looking at the shocks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Springs and oil here...

Sonic springs, .90, and 12.5 weight Motul fork oil. I weigh 190 pounds.

Transformed the bike for the better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Skip intiminators. Too much stiction with the sealing rings, and no provision for rebound dampening adjustments. They didn't play nice with my Sonic .95's. Stock springs, they worked much better, but the sag was all wrong.

I'd do springs and oil, and if you have the time, Racetech GV's.

Listen to Rich, he knows his stuff.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Skip intiminators. Too much stiction with the sealing rings, and no provision for rebound dampening adjustments. They didn't play nice with my Sonic .95's.
Have you tried heavier or lighter springs?

Between the RaceTech and Ricor valves, I'll take the Ricors. After a year, I got tired of trying to tweak the RaceTechs.

You're right, the Ricors only work on the compression and I have a bit too much rebound, but I haven't done anything at all to them and still have 10w oil in there (5w is recommended). I intend to go with the 5w and close the rebound hole on the damper rod. I can still play with the shims after that -- if I want.

With the RT, I had far too much rebound and could not lighten it up sufficiently no matter what I did.

This said, it's impossible to get a perfect front suspension with damper rod forks. Once you get in there, you won't stop twiddling.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
jmo3373,

Neither intiminator nor Ractech GV Emulator are designed to adjust rebound damping - that is still the job of rebound orifices. Neither manufacturers claim they can.

stiction on sealing rings on intiminator is a known issue and easily corrected by cutting off about 2 -4 mm of the ends. For the stroms neither products are likely to be the miracle cure one would hope for - both need some customisation to work best. there are a number of threads detailing people customisations with either products- they are good read.

Step 1 should be about springs and correct oil for intended purpose - cheap and will solve 70% of the issues. You will need springs regardless whichever way u go.

If u ride rough back roads where high velocity damping is important, emulator or intiminator can assist in making them better.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
MikeB
Intiminator thread here: very long... and can get a little crazy
Intalled Ricor Intiminators -- excellent results
Intiminator Compared and modified - ADVrider

Two things u may want to consider:

1)is the oil u are using the same viscosity rating as the one Ricor is talking about. 5wt across brands may give a different rating - look for [email protected]
Peter Verdone Designs - Low Speed Damping

2) what springs are u running - unless u are 70kgs , a correctly rated spring will assist with things generally.
Thanks for the references. Yup, lots of info and opinions there. I'm not concerned with getting track-quality performance out of my forks, since I'm generally a fairly conservative rider. I'd just like to get a little harshness out of the bars when on rough pavement. Since I'll be putting in new seals soon I will as a first step install shorter spacers with the OEM springs and see what that does.

I doubt very much if I'm going to get into all the welding and/or drilling of oil channels. My anus ain't that retentive nor my needs that demanding.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Intiminators require 5wt oil. Rebound is fixed to this weight. RT's work with various weight oils - ergo, rebound is adjustable.

Again, Ricor's product didn't work for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you tried heavier or lighter springs?

Between the RaceTech and Ricor valves, I'll take the Ricors. After a year, I got tired of trying to tweak the RaceTechs.

You're right, the Ricors only work on the compression and I have a bit too much rebound, but I haven't done anything at all to them and still have 10w oil in there (5w is recommended). I intend to go with the 5w and close the rebound hole on the damper rod. I can still play with the shims after that -- if I want.

With the RT, I had far too much rebound and could not lighten it up sufficiently no matter what I did.

This said, it's impossible to get a perfect front suspension with damper rod forks. Once you get in there, you won't stop twiddling.
I have run stock, .9, and currently run .95 Sonics. Using a mix of Spectro 10 & 15. This is a better setup than the intiminators gave me.

RT's are going in this week. Bought from SV Racing. Will be starting out with 15wt Motul.

I played with the shims, bought the tool, etc from Ricor. My theory is that stiffer springs require more rebound dampening than the Ricor set up can provide. Higher weight to fix this will engage the stock compression holes.

Why would you close the hole? Run the Amsoil 5wt and see if that works for you. Might get it to where you are happy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts