StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Seals need to be replaced, or just crap in them.

Item 7 below...if you have a 1000. The 650 is different.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Seals need to be replaced, or just crap in them.
I assume that second part is a cause rather than a remedy but it took a second for the light to go on.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I assume that second part is a cause rather than a remedy but it took a second for the light to go on.
I had to read my post 3 or 4 times to get what you meant....and then I laughed. :thumbup:

What I should have said it that there may be crap in the seals causing them to leak. Either that or they are worn and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOL- that's awesome.

FWIW- the seals on my buddy's K4 Wee were leaking so badly they had fouled the brake pads. I figured the seals were shot for sure, but he bought one of the Motion Pro Seal Mates to try first. It's basically a thin piece of plastic with a hooked end that you slip between the seal and the fork tube (after you pry up the dust cover and slide it out of the way) and move it around to get any drit/dirt out. Damned if that didn't completely fix the leaks on both forks. Others have used 35mm film to do the same thing.

His had leaked so badly (and what was coming out was a horrible grey color) that we pulled the forks and flushed/refilled them to the correct level (and put new brake pads on) but it saved us the hassle of replacing the seals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How much time should it take to replace those seals?
I've had my forks off and on to replace the oil several times. I'm assuming you will need an impact driver to remove the allen screw at the bottom, and some sort of tool/driver to properly set the new seals in place. While apart, I'd add some Race Tech emulators, or at the least, clean the lowers and their internals. I'd plan on at least 4 hours to go slow and do it right. You may consider pulling the lowers or the whole fork and have a shop seat the seals. You can mess them up pretty easy if you aren't careful (I have experience with this).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is maintaining the fork fluid VITAL if they're not leaking

Hello All,
First off, to you and many others, thank you for offering your wisdom to all of us.
I'm in a minor quandary regarding some service items to be done and whether to include changing the fork fluid/oil. Nothing's leaking, and I ride only pavement commutes about 10 min each way. Although I am pretty aggressive in traffic, I've pulled off 19.6k on the first chain and sprox, and say this to illustrate the wear behavior.
I've got 2 opinions from track-side pro mechanics; one saying the fluid breaks down teflon and turns into something bad that makes rebuilding the whole fork inevitable if not changed, the other says don't bother if they're not leaking.
The bikes an '05 I got bought with 4500 on it and its in Arizona, but rarely parked in the baking sun.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts