StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a V-strom 650 Adventure with 65,000 on it now. However, when it had maybe 50,000 I had the front fork rebuilt. I was surprised when less than 8 months and 12,000 miles later I had to have it rebuilt again.

Shouldn’t the rebuild have lasted longer than that and what are your opinion on the dealer responsibility for what seems to me their not having done the job right in the first place?

It was rebuilt in May, 2018 and again in Feb 2019. The lion’s share of the mileage between was from a trip across the country on highways and roadways. No off road travel or rough terrain.

THanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
When you say rebuilt, what do you mean? Replaced the seal and changed the oil? Bushings? Why was the rebuilt done? Leaking?

Anyway, yeah, that's not right. In 25 years of riding I've had exactly one fork seal that started leaking and needed to be replaced. I had the forks on my DL1000 rebuilt with Gold Valves and new springs, so I can't comment too much on that one.

Anyway, having been done at 50k I wouldn't expect it to need done again at 65 k. I take it it's leaking again?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Brain, what parts were replaced during the rebuild? And what is the reason for needing the work done again?
Ive seen pitted/bent forks causing problems, the wrong amount of fluid installed. leaks from poor seal installation, leaking fork seals from worn bushings that werent replaced. Probably a few more things possible, but not enough info to give you a more useful answer.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
With 99K miles on mine I replaced the seal and dust cap on the left fork a couple thousand miles ago. How is it that yours are failing? puking oil or something worser?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts