StromTrooper banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought a set off a 2015 DL650 and they fitted straight in. As you can see even with the preload wound all the way off it ads some over the stock settings, which is giving my a rider sag number of 36mm which feels really good. When I get back from my trip to Portugal I'll order a set of hyperpro springs and while fitting I'll shorten the stock spring spacer to make preload off closer to stock settings.
Looking forward to hearing more.
George

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any idea if 2012-16 model forks would work on 2017?

just did the swap as my 2017 XT had bent forks. I retained the preload adjusters from the 2012 (gen2) model as the XT does not have preload as stock. I'm waiting on the RaceTech springs for my weight to be fitted. Currently I'm running the bike with the preload adjusters all the way out and it is soft. The 2017 XT does appear to have stiffer springs than the 2014 as stock (less coils on the 2017 bike)

You can get pretty preload adjusters from China for $32 on Amazon BTW

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought a set off a 2015 DL650 and they fitted straight in. As you can see even with the preload wound all the way off it ads some over the stock settings, which is giving my a rider sag number of 36mm which feels really good. When I get back from my trip to Portugal I'll order a set of hyperpro springs and while fitting I'll shorten the stock spring spacer to make preload off closer to stock settings.
Hello, so when you ordered the parts you had to order 6 different parts for each fork, right? The adjsuter, the cap,2 o-rings, spring seat, etc? It doesnt come as a whole assembly? Nothing else needed to change? The length of the collar?
Have you done the springs yet? They are single rate? What's your take on the changes? Have you done any work to the rear? Thanks, 2018 DL650 owner, Paul Ranger

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the stock 2017 forks - which were bent - and built a good set from a used set off a 2012 model (not 2015 as earlier stated). I disassembled both units and compared the parts on the bench. Only differences I could see were the lower right side, as it had different spacing on the ABS sensor mount, less coils on the 2017 springs and the 2017 caps did not have preload adjusters.

I have since fitted Race Tech springs for my (substantial) weight based on their recommendations and find them a bit too harsh TBH

21 - 25 of 25 Posts