StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend, Blair Harley, shared my dissatisfaction with small bump compliance from the front of his (07) DL650 and replaced the steel spacer above the springs with a specially wound helper spring the same length as the steel spacer.

Version 1 which he gave to me used a short spring with plastic spacer while Version 2 used on his bike (subsequently totalled by an inattentive driver) was a full length spring.

Blair said the full length spring worked even better than Version 1.

Even so the short spring and spacer markedly improves compliance on my 05 and sag height before and after installation was unchanged.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Interesting. Works Performance does this with their shocks, they stack one spring on top of another. I'm not sure about the math, but the 2 springs are softer than either spring by itself. When the smaller spring fully compresses the larger spring takes over with it's higher rate, so you get a dual rate suspension, similar to a progressive spring but with a defined line where the rate changes. WP uses spacers to allow you to preload the small spring to adjust the rate change over point. By not using a spacer your friends Version 2 rate change came later in the stroke than your Version 1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts