StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know a lot of people swear by this thing. I'm just wondering what you guys think it really does or doesn't do for you? I've ridden a lot of bikes and haven't noticed that my Wee is unstable or has any wobble up front. Also it has ABS if that matters. Thanks

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hell if I know. My fork brace has been on so long that I forgot what it handled like without it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Since the front forks are longer than most road bikes you get more twisting around of the forks under force.
What you'll notice is more precision in turns and less affected by cross winds or dirty air (tracks straighter).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed a marked difference in cornering feel (for the better) when I put mine on and it's been on ever since. I didn't particularly notice that much instability at highway speeds in cross winds/ buffeting, but when I put it on I hadn't done any really long stretches on the highway so I can't really compare the before and after with any degree of reliability.
What I do know now though, is that I'm very happy with the cornering stability and there's no real issues at speed from my fork-braced set up, so I'm not about to go mucking around and remove it. It's on, seems to be doing the business, so it's staying put.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks stromburger. Now that you mention it, I do get some wobble/instability above 70mph especially on the slab. Also, thanks honez. I can see one in my near future.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Forks flex. When they flex, they stick-slip-stick-slip, etc. The best forks flex less, and Suzuki doesn't put the best forks on bikes that sell for the price of our stroms. A fork brace helps reduce fork flex and lets them do their job more smoothly.

The ABS brake distribution fitting can get hit by a fork brace. The Superbrace with its raised center is reduces the clearance even more. One of the straight braces (Richland Rick's, Murph's) works well, and then limit the amount the forks are raised to about 10 mm. All three brands are OK if you don't raise the forks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It was easy enough just to copy and paste my other responses to this.

###
I would like to add a +1 to this. Not everyone notices the difference...but take some turns through a pot hole or over a man hole cover and you'll feel that front end wobble a lot..get a fork brace!
###

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Before the move to inverted forks many bikes came from the factory with a fork brace. I put the difference you will feel with one about like the difference between radial and bias ply tires. It is subtle, but if you are "at one with your bike" you can tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I also found that the brace made the bike more stable on gravel and dirt roads.
Big improvement.
Rod

·
Registered
197 Posts
No Difference

I purchased a fork brace on the "accolades" on this forum. However, before installing it, I tested my K7 650 on smooth road sharp curves, on rough road sharp curves, on roads with a wavy surface, crossing RR tracks at various angles, driving across a bridge with a cross-hatched metal surface both wet & dry and on gravel roads. Then I installed the fork brace and tested everything over again. The result was NO DIFFERENCE.

I did not test it on rough trail, deep sand or loose dirt since this bike is too much of a heavy pig for such activities. Yes, of course, you can do it but it is foolish - - you will probably wreck and cause much $$$$$$$ in damages. Despite what Suzuki advertises, this bike is for paved highways - - and it is a good road bike for that.

So do not waste your money on a fork brace unless you intend to balance of rocks and dive in deep mud.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just installed a Superbrace on the 2012 650. Went on easy. Past couple of days were very windy in Boston area, & it made a huge difference while blasting down the highway. Pre-brace, a truck or side wind would move me over, now, it is very less pronounced. Also, while turning & hitting bumps in the road, the bike tracks smoother.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rode without a forkbrace for many years, always felt like there was really no need for the forkbrace. I came into some unexpected cash and decided to try one based on all the good reviews I read here. I could tell the bike tracked better but the big improvement for me is handling in crosswinds, I no longer feel like a paper cup out there. Very nice not to get blown around. I have the superbrace, but I think that all that are available are as good, I just like the looks best. Well worth the money, I wished I would have got one sooner.:thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fork brace good...

Yesterday I rode my Vee for the first time since installing a Murph's forkbrace. In purchasing this kit I expected a little improvement in handling and pretty much little else.

However, the sky opened up and the choir sang soon as I hit loop 820 heading into a moderate south wind- the handlebars were stable unlike previously when they would 'waggle'a bit as windpressure affected the windshield which in turn put the bar in slight back and forth motion. Nothing serious but a perceptable feel of movement. And this on a low miles 2009 machine.

As I continued south I could tell the front end was stable, solid feel unlike before. I had been a little disappointed when I first got the bike because of the tentative wandering of the front tire attributing this to tire, chassis, suspension geometry, what have you. No more. I would pay way more for this particular brace- it makes the front end that much better.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i would say there is a definitive difference with fork brace even with done up suspension - yes it's "tighter" but also a little less compliant. Overall i think it it still a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i would say there is a definitive difference with fork brace even with done up suspension - yes it's "tighter" but also a little less compliant. Overall i think it it still a worthwhile investment.
I actually found that sensitivity was improved after installing the fork brace. I assumed it was from the stanchions not twisting as much with respect to each other, as well as staying even during a bump, resulting in lower stiction.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I actually found that sensitivity was improved after installing the fork brace. I assumed it was from the stanchions not twisting as much with respect to each other, as well as staying even during a bump, resulting in lower stiction.
"Me too" on my L2.
On my K6 it made the front harsher, but it well worth it for the stability.

I suspect the change on the L2 was due to me aligning the forks when fitting the brace.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I don't notice a diff either, but I do have one. From an engineering perspective it makes sense.
Wow - my experience is completely opposite. I thought there was something wrong with either my bike, or my tire selection, when riding on normal dirt roads. And, the bike would get all whippy from truck washes going by big semi trucks on the highway.

I put a Rick's brace on, and dirt roads are a joy now, and I don't even notice truck wash on the highway.

I'm a bit incredulous that you didn't notice any effect......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts