StromTrooper banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kroil is even better. Every home mechanic should have or mix your own!

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=416kxyRAYML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1RG9RS577KN1D7C0XTJN

"Machinists Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all popular penetrates with control being the torque required to remove a nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

WD40...................238 LBS
PB Blaster ............214 LBS
Liquid Wrench.......127 LBS
Kano Kroil.............106 LBS
ATF -Acetone 50/50 mix ...53 lbs (Home brew)"
Kroil's smell is the best too!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great help guys, googled this topic after stripping out the fairing....the orange locktite does it's job a little too well...PB Blaster worked miracles for me. Putting the fender back on I cleaned off the fastener of all residual locktite, just held the square fastener by hand and the nut torqued up nicely. Who would of thought the hardest part of changing the fork oil would be the fender removal? Either way, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a consensus on the best way to reinstall after getting the rear bolts out? I see a couple of different approaches on this thread. I'm trying to decide between reusing the same square nuts without thread locker, switching to nylocks, or maybe some other option? Removing them was a pain but I'm also concerned about it loosening up after reinstallation...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there a consensus on the best way to reinstall after getting the rear bolts out? I see a couple of different approaches on this thread. I'm trying to decide between reusing the same square nuts without thread locker, switching to nylocks, or maybe some other option? Removing them was a pain but I'm also concerned about it loosening up after reinstallation...
I've put normal washer + nut on the other side.

That was 40.000km ago. Never had a problem and removed it a couple of times with no issues.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
I removed those bolts early on in my ownership of my 15XT, they came out no problem and I also removed any old thread locker. Have had them out 2 other times since, no issues getting loose and they haven't loosened on their own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've put normal washer + nut on the other side.

That was 40.000km ago. Never had a problem and removed it a couple of times with no issues.
Thanks Julles. I ended up picking up some nylocks but it's good to hear that you haven't had any trouble with just normal fasteners.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
So many things really do not need Locktite to keep them together. my use of that sort of thing is very sparing.
To hold those square retainers in place when reassembling the fender I used some wax a friend used to make for newsprint paste-up.
Nice stuff, temporary wax. It works without causing a headache later.
Everready has a point. I did manage to secure my fender bolts with a paint job. I had to drill the bolt head off. Then some simple bolts from the hardware store made it mo bettah.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up having to cut my my front fender off after I broke off one of the bold heads on one side of fork. the bolts are still in there, Ill try some of the solvents listed in this thread to get them out at leas I could make it look cleaner

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I love stickies... this thread made for an uneventful fender riser install. Thank you!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts