StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had read a couple posts of people having issues with the tire rubbing inside the front fender when changing to a new front wheel.
This happened to me so I made a very clean and simple bracket set to resolve the issue.

This is for the front of the fender.
https://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/2014DL1000/i-G9MNsBS/0/L/IMG_3237-L.jpg

This is for the rear
https://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/2014DL1000/i-vWHWM4z/0/L/IMG_3240-L.jpg

Overall it raises the fender about 1/2" since I went from a 110/80 to a 110/90 tire it has plenty of clearance now.
The only change I would make is to use a countersunk bolt on the bottom as it interfered with the fender a tiny bit but not enough to cause an issue (like 1/16").

I cant believe no one is making this as a kit to resolve this issue, I think the fender is too close the stock tire as is, for an adventure bike first time you get in the mud that tire will get stuck in the fender.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's interesting. Tell me why you went to a 110/90?
Seems to make sense to me. Even if you kept the stock tire size.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. Tell me why you went to a 110/90?
Seems to make sense to me. Even if you kept the stock tire size.
I like the Shinko Tourmaster front tire.
I have been running them for over 150K miles between the two stroms.
Only avail in the 110/90 size or a 90/90 side.
I like the 110 it gives back a road feel that works for my riding conditions.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had read a couple posts of people having issues with the tire rubbing inside the front fender when changing to a new front wheel.
This happened to me so I made a very clean and simple bracket set to resolve the issue.

This is for the front of the fender.
https://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/2014DL1000/i-G9MNsBS/0/L/IMG_3237-L.jpg

This is for the rear
https://dsm8.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Modifications/2014DL1000/i-vWHWM4z/0/L/IMG_3240-L.jpg

Overall it raises the fender about 1/2" since I went from a 110/80 to a 110/90 tire it has plenty of clearance now.
The only change I would make is to use a countersunk bolt on the bottom as it interfered with the fender a tiny bit but not enough to cause an issue (like 1/16").

I cant believe no one is making this as a kit to resolve this issue, I think the fender is too close the stock tire as is, for an adventure bike first time you get in the mud that tire will get stuck in the fender.
Is that a fork seal leaking?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that a fork seal leaking?
I had just rebuilt the front suspension, new seals, springs and valving.
That is just the residual oil from the rebuild, I literally put the fender on and took the pictures right after the fork install, didnt even wipe off the excess oil.
That is what your seeing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had just rebuilt the front suspension, new seals, springs and valving.
That is just the residual oil from the rebuild, I literally put the fender on and took the pictures right after the fork install, didnt even wipe off the excess oil.
That is what your seeing.
Oh, I see.....so was the rebuild needed? If so, how many kms/mls have you done? Or was it just an upgrade? If so, what springs and oil did you use?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I see.....so was the rebuild needed? If so, how many kms/mls have you done? Or was it just an upgrade? If so, what springs and oil did you use?
I am working with they guys at Congents on a suspension package for the DL1000. The front is getting sorted which he is working on designing the rear shock.

Went with heavier springs as the stock ones are progressive and far to soft for my use. I used the custom wound springs he sent for my weight along with his custom valving. It has only been three days of riding so far still have a lot more adjusting to figure out where I stand on it but the big thing is the brake dive is all but gone, I might have sprung it a little too stiff.

The rebuild was just the seals cause I was already in there and it is cheap insurance to replace them.

Just waiting on the rear shock so the bike will be more balanced again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an issue with the front tire,a Shinko 804. After I realized the fender was loose and fixed that, it still dragged at higher speeds, 80 and below was fine, 80 to 100 it was still a problem, So I took a small rattail file and slotted the holes 5/32 raised the fender, blue loctited. the screws, no issues since. This is including riding in heavy mud.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ugh, just picked up my bike and was told that my Shinko 712 (110-90-19) had rubbed clear through my front fender at the back. Here are some pics. Guess I am in the market for a new fender :(

Add my voice to the warnings about going to a 90 tire.

I did massive amounts of research here and somehow missed this.

I will try one of the above mentioned fixes.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the Shinko 804 using the stock tire sizes? I know Sam71N had rubbing due to a loose fender, but other than that no issues. Rocky Mtn ATV and Revzilla both have them in stock with OEM sizes front and rear.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Ouch, that is nasty. So much for saving on the Shinko tires. That sucks.

I like the idea of raising the fender a bit when switching to a higher tire. I guess they keep it close to the tire to prevent wind getting underneath and lifting?

Ugh, just picked up my bike and was told that my Shinko 712 (110-90-19) had rubbed clear through my front fender at the back. Here are some pics. Guess I am in the market for a new fender :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The simplest solution that will ensure this problem is permanently fixed is the small brackets like I made which raise the entire fender and make it still easy to remove if needed again in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
The simplest solution that will ensure this problem is permanently fixed is the small brackets like I made which raise the entire fender and make it still easy to remove if needed again in the future.
Sounds like you have a product to sell here. Clean it up a bit more so there are no extra holes and rounded edges and add a price. Might be a fun side project?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you have a product to sell here. Clean it up a bit more so there are no extra holes and rounded edges and add a price. Might be a fun side project?
To do this right would require the pieces be cut using a laser, I dont have that kind of time on my hands but if adventure machines guy wants to take this idea and run with it I would be fine with that, i already have too much of his crap on my bike already.
=)

The ideal would have the second set of holes threaded so you dont need a nut on the backside, make them out of stainless and your good to go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To do this right would require the pieces be cut using a laser, I dont have that kind of time on my hands but if adventure machines guy wants to take this idea and run with it I would be fine with that, i already have too much of his crap on my bike already.
=)

The ideal would have the second set of holes threaded so you dont need a nut on the backside, make them out of stainless and your good to go.
You should send this to Richland Rick and see if he has any interest in creating fabricating / selling this idea. I think it is something that would be relatively inexpensive yet provide tremendous benefit.

Just my 2 cents

Joe

Reactions: Big B and lilzip24

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
I run the 100/80/19 Shinko 705 No problem.
Loose front fenders? Golly don't you check every nut and bolt before every ride?>:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the 705, with no issues. 804 is what caused the issued. It's fixed now.
Did you use the brackets, or just tighten your fender screws?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts