StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and played in the mud today with the vstrom... Something happened that was a huge nuisance ... It became locked.... Mud wedged between the fender and the tire... It was so packed that I had to remove the fender and clean it out during the ride twice... Super annoying ... My buddy had his f700gs and it had about another inch of space and he had no issues.... Is there a product out there that can help me? I just need another inch of clearance...

·
Registered
833 Posts
You were lucky being able to remove the fender during the ride, with that square nut behind, that turn in the plastic.
I had to drill my bolts head.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had the same problem last fall. there was four of us on the ride and all had the same problem.
There was one reply that said that he raised the front fender 2".
There is another problem with the rear tire putting mud and rocks in the chain.
On my bike it filled the front sprocket cover with mud and rocks. I ended up pulling it off and cleaning it out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
worse outcome

If the mud dries under the front fender, then you get a stick caught in there at speed, well you end up down the road when it all locks up. Nasty.

I would be likely to raise the mudguard 2 inches if someone did a kit for this purpose.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Funny that this topic came up today. I just pulled the front fender off today to install a fenda extenda, and to raise the fender a bit when I reinstall it. I've got a superbrace on the fork, and it looks like the very most I'll be able to raise the fender is 1". More likely a bit less. I got some plates, and some nuts and bolts, and I'll see what I end up with. I'll do what I can to document it.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
$200 for a fender?? :shocked:

I just don't ride in heavy mud.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can't you fab some steel extenders to tap & raise the fender up? Seems easy enough if you have a drill & a tap set and some 1/4" steel flat bar.
I made up a set of brackets to raise the fender an inch and did a trial fit on the fender. Found that in order to mount it I'd have to butcher the fender. There's no going back from that, and I'm not willing.

In order to have the new mounting points clear the plastic of the fender, I'd have to raise it by at least two inches. That presents a few other issues. I'd have to lose the fork brace, the crossover brake line won't accommodate that, and I gotta wonder if the fender may then contact the radiator or cowling with suspension fully compressed. If the last isn't an issue, and I don't know that, then two or more inches is certainly doable with no brace and no crossover.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd gladly pay $200 for an extra inch...wait a second what are we talking about? :green_lol:

Reactions: LawrenceVee

·
Registered
279 Posts
I got stranded way the hell from home, once, because of that. I ended up taking the damn fender completely off and driving out. I lost the fender hardware and had to order some. It was a pain. I wasn't "mudding" as much as driving down wet clay road.

I sold my KLR, and the Wee is my complete tour and dirt road lady now. I am definitely going to raise the fender before I venture on any Alabama clay this summer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a new brake hose. 4 inches longer. I am facing the brackets now... I and going to raise 2 inches... I will post pics later... I figured 2 inches I should never have an issue... I will post part numbers for the hose later.. I will have about $50 in this project done... No more issues with locked front tires...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts