StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me say I first searched for the answer before actually posting this question.

My wee has 32,000+ km's on it. What a fabulously comfortable, versatile bike!

My local bike repair shop guy in Smithers, BC suggested that I leave the bike with him over the winter so he could do the required/scheduled "front end" maintenance. He would work on it over the winter and charge minimum $1000.

A great deal for me, because it would get "free" heated and indoor winter storage.

My question: Is there a need for such a significant amount of front-end work done at this point in the bike's life? The owner's manual doesn't really indicate anything that would take 10+ hours to complete.

I can't believe I am getting suckered, but ...?

Alright, I'm ready for your expert responses.:thumbup1:

·
0 Posts
My advice, get a list of everything he's going to do...and what the break down of what the charges would be. This way...at least you'll know what you're paying for beforehand.

$1000 to me seems absurd...no matter what all is done.

Just my two cents.

BTD.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
My advice, get a list of everything he's going to do...and what the break down of what the charges would be. This way...at least you'll know what you're paying for beforehand.

$1000 to me seems absurd...no matter what all is done.

Just my two cents.

BTD.
You could buy a whole new front end for that amount of money.

Changing the fork oil.

Replacing the Guide and Slide metals.

Replacing the fork seals.

Less then $60 in parts.

$940 in labor? The work can be done in about 3 hours. You can find tutorials on this in the "How To" section.

If you want to add new springs, that would be about another $100.

If you want to add Gold Valve Emulators, that would be about another $150.

If you want to add a fork brace of some kind, (Superbrace), that would be another $150.

If you want to add sealed bearings to the front wheel, that would be about $30.

Still way under $1,000 even with labor factored in.

B.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You could buy a whole new front end for that amount of money.
Or better yet, a real rear suspension and new fork springs.

At 22000 miles, the rear seems to sag even more than it did when new; it's pretty awful. If I had $1000 lying around, betcherbutt that's where I'd put it.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Or better yet, a real rear suspension and new fork springs.

At 22000 miles, the rear seems to sag even more than it did when new; it's pretty awful. If I had $1000 lying around, betcherbutt that's where I'd put it.
Really good point!

And if Blair stops by, he will reccomend the Elka brand shock that he sells.

If you buy a Hyperpro, you will get an excellent shock, get to redo the front end, and have enough $$ leftover for a decent weekend trip.

The Hyperpro is what I have and it is rock solid at an affordable price.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Find a new dealer. Your dealer seems intent on ripping you off. Buy the shop manual and do it yourself. Including the cost of the manual you'll be saving $850.

SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts