StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if tipping the bike caused the issue but I tipped the bike while parking onto it's left side - not much damage at all - the engine guard took most of the fall. I don't think anything to do with braking got hit at all and I immediately set the bike back up. Anyway - shortly after this happened I started having trouble with my front brake - the brake lever bottoms out before I get full braking. Could I have gotten air in the master cylinder from the tip or is there something else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Take a close look at everything on the front brakes.
--Is the fluid level in the reservoir sight glass OK?
--Does the lever action feel spongy? Does if get firm if pumped? (sign of air)
--Is there any damage to the disc, hoses, or caliper on either side?
--Look closely at the pads inside the caliper. Are both close against their disc?
--Pry the pads away from the disc. Squeeze the lever and watch the pads move to contact the disc.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
If it had been dropped onto the RHS, I'd say check the lever. My brakes were spongy until I replaced the broken lever. When I looked, I found there was a crack at the pivot point and the leverage must have been opening the crack up.

See pic at : http://www.stromtrooper.com/686958-post57.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I really don't think anything from the brakes took a hit but I will check over it good - I know it is not the lever since it was the other side. I will probably try to bleed it when I get a chance. Turns out I took more damage than the bike - broken Fibula so I am not going to be riding for a while :-(

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Thanks - I really don't think anything from the brakes took a hit but I will check over it good - I know it is not the lever since it was the other side. I will probably try to bleed it when I get a chance. Turns out I took more damage than the bike - broken Fibula so I am not going to be riding for a while :-(
Check all connections to the Fibula. check the hoses for trapped air and the wiring for exessive voltage. It could be the wrong oil you're using. Fibulae are sensitive to these things.

Seriously, you left the FIBULA part out of the story. It's important if only for the sympathy factor. SORRY you're hurt and all the best in recovery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts