StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I squeeze the front brake lever it does not compress smoothly, but binds a little, kinda of in the mid way compression. Seems to go back to normal after the bike is driven for awhile. Never used to be like that, but I have no frame of reference for what is normal. Learning as I go.
06 wee 15,000 miles, What do I check for?

Much obliged

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Not normal. Should be a smooth, short stroke. Take the brake lever off and check for mud or dirt that's binding the lever up. Could be a defective master cylinder and much less likely could have a front caliper problem. If your not familiar how the brakes work take it in or get a service manual. Were talking brakes! :fineprint:

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I squeeze the front brake lever it does not compress smoothly, but binds a little, kinda of in the mid way compression. Seems to go back to normal after the bike is driven for awhile. Never used to be like that, but I have no frame of reference for what is normal. Learning as I go.
06 wee 15,000 miles, What do I check for?

Much obliged
Pull the lever forward and put some grease on the point where the lever presses on the M/C plunger.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Pry the brake pads away from the discs all the way back into the calipers. This will give you a few full strokes of the lever and master cylinder to find and fix your problem whether it is lever or master cylinder. Start with the easy stuff, and start with cleaning and lubing as described above.

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
sounds like a lack of maintenance issue

or you ride the same places I do ( I sometimes go thru a whole can of Brakleen after a winter ride)

first before you go lubing things, use some brake cleaner to flush out any gunk, lube the pivot bolt at the lever, then some lube along the caliper pins

hopefully you've caught it early enuf that you don't have to rebuild a sticky caliper

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Brake pivot is #5, clutch pivot is #12. Clean with WD40, or similar, and use a small amount of grease to lube them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts