StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any regular (rubber) longer upper brake line that can be used without having to go to the braided stainless complete change out kit for the front brake lines?
It seems like you should be able to get a longer rubber upper hose only somewhere for this bike. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Barender

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Me too. I plan to add bar risers and it turns into an expensive project having to buy the braided line.
I don't have the answer to the OP's question... but I do know several have successfully added risers without extending the lines. Personally I have the Tusk 30mm risers and didn't need to do anything. Others have done some minor rerouting. See this thread for more info.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
extending

my DL650 came to me with risers and no hoses or cables changed. I was mnore concerned with the throttle cable than the brake lines. Ulitmately, I removed the risers, because I did not need them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I went an inch up and an inch back, installed by the dealer service dept without any changes in hoses or cables.
g

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
A lot of places can make custom brake hoses; here's one example:
Custom Brake Hoses | E.L. Johnston Auto Parts
Yes, but...when I asked the folks at SV Racing about this, shortly after purchasing my '12 DL650 in early 2012, they explained that one could not just replace the upper hose because of its connection to the manifold (below the tank) that was added or changed with the '12 ABS. Looking at the hose connection to the manifold (as best as I can see it from underneath), it does appear as if it is a permanent, swaged connection, as does the connection for the hose going to the front calipers. It would thus seem as if to replace any of these hoses one must replace both the upper and intermediate hoses and the manifold connection.

I've not since revisited this or removed the tank for a better look so I'm not positive, but would be interested in knowing if anybody has confirmed whether or not the upper hose can be disconnected from the manifold thus allowing it to be individually replaced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the link bartender.

The picture for the OEM brake lines explains what I'm seeing the bike. What appears to be permanent compression fittings for the lower end of the master brake line and upper end of the common line to the calipers are connections not to a manifold, but block shaped ends into which the lines to the ABS unit thread. Significantly, these are not standard threaded or banjo fitting ends.

Curiously, if you click on the Universal Parts link, you'll see displayed several universal brake lines with standard threaded ends, none of which would be a compatible replacement for the OEM brake lines. Indeed, the only brake lines shown with these 'special' end connectors are the OEM brake lines which, I believe, Suzuki offers in only one length.

As mentioned in my earlier post, in early 2012, SV Racing told me that they sold brake lines (with longer lengths available) only as a set, not just the master brake line. Just checked SV Racing's website and, interestingly, I can't find brake lines listed for the DL650. Perhaps they decided it was too specialized a configuration to warrant carrying them.

So, seems as if the master brake line better be long enough for any contemplated handlebar change because at this point I don't see an alternative to the stock length.

Edit: Did just find this link http://www.stromtrooper.com/sv-raci...top-front-brake-line-kits-2012-dl650-abs.html announcing the '12+ DL650 brake line kit by SV Racing in June 2012. So, not sure if that still exists or not since I can't find it on their site.

·
Registered
220 Posts
SVR kit

Has anyone installed the SVR kit for the DL650 2012 ABS model?
Can you confirm that it comes fitted with th esquare block and ABS hose attachment , not banjo ends on both ends?

·
Registered
220 Posts
thanks AceRider

It would appear that the kit I received is not the correct one. The end of line A looks nothing like that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
the single line at Bike Bandit is 87 bucks
the two lines from SV Racing are $114.95 and include the banjo bolts and washers
I'd go with two-the SV parts do a good job
needing longer lines depends on the riser used
I went with Rox and needed new lines, others did not. I suspect it is the amount of up and back you choose. I went up over an inch and back over an inch, rerouted throttle cables and clutch line

·
Registered
220 Posts
How?

the single line at Bike Bandit is 87 bucks
the two lines from SV Racing are $89.95 and include the banjo bolts and washers
I'd go with two-the SV parts do a good job
needing longer lines depends on the riser used
I went with Rox and needed new lines, others did not. I suspect it is the amount of up and back you choose. I went up over an inch and back over an inch, rerouted throttle cables and clutch line
The kit you describe is what I received from SVracing via their website ordering for a 2012+ DL650 extended brake line kit. I cannot see how this two line kit can be used on a ABS bike. I have attached a photo of the end of the Suzuki brake line. It is not a banjo fitting.

I am assuming that the DL650 2012+ model must be available in non- ABS form in the States. It isn't an option in OZ, all DL650 are ABS equipped.

Perhaps SVracing needs to make their website more user friendly (i.e. clear and updated) for this item. ABS/non ABS kits clearly labelled on the order page.

I have tried to e-mail Blair but the kookaburras must have pooped on my satellite disc again and it is not working. The joys of living in the bush!

·
Registered
824 Posts
The kit you describe is what I received from SVracing via their website ordering for a 2012+ DL650 extended brake line kit. I cannot see how this two line kit can be used on a ABS bike. I have attached a photo of the end of the Suzuki brake line. It is not a banjo fitting.

I am assuming that the DL650 2012+ model must be available in non- ABS form in the States. It isn't an option in OZ, all DL650 are ABS equipped.

Perhaps SVracing needs to make their website more user friendly (i.e. clear and updated) for this item. ABS/non ABS kits clearly labelled on the order page.

I have tried to e-mail Blair but the kookaburras must have pooped on my satellite disc again and it is not working. The joys of living in the bush!

all DL650 from 2012 on are ABS in the states
the website has never been a problem for me
is this what you ordered?
SV Racing Parts | Store
I saw no choice for ABS and non-ABS when I put that item in my cart. I did see a choice between 2007-2011 and "2012 and newer". Is it possible you did not order the correct item?

found on this page
SV Racing Parts | Store
when you email Blair, you'll find him helpful, especially if you explain your problem and ask for his help before you tell him he has a shitty website.

·
Registered
220 Posts
all DL650 from 2012 on are ABS in the states
the website has never been a problem for me
is this what you ordered?
SV Racing Parts | Store
I saw no choice for ABS and non-ABS when I put that item in my cart. I did see a choice between 2007-2011 and "2012 and newer". Is it possible you did not order the correct item?

found on this page
SV Racing Parts | Store
when you email Blair, you'll find him helpful, especially if you explain your problem and ask for his help before you tell him he has a shitty website.
Well I stand corrected! I checked the site several times and must have failed to find that page prior to ordering. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts