StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm generally pleased with the braking performance of my Wee, however i've noticed that the front brake feels a bit too long. The braking power seems ok (no emergency braking so far) but i just hate the feeling of touching my other two fingers with the lever when braking. I've bled the breaks with little to no change. Here an explanation: I did it once with just the tools that came with the bike and was able just to work on the right caliper, the other bleeding bolt was not cooperative. After this, the brake got indeed better. Finally i got a decent wrench yesterday and i decided to complete the job on the left caliper. To my surprise the brake got longer again.

Should i re-do the bleeding again in both calipers? Is it normal? (taking into account the 101000 km of the bike :yikes: ) By the way the pads are not too old, may be 5000 km or so (changed by the previous owner), they seem to have still some life on them. But i'm planning a long trip (3000 km or so) and if i want something to be working fine that's my front brake.

I appreciate your advices, as always.

Regards,

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you intend to be a two fingered braker, get a shorty lever or change the master cylinder and maybe the calipers. The 2007 and later DL650 especially have long brake lever throws but Stroms in general have brakes suitable for some dirt use. The master cylinders got smaller bores in 2007. I just got a pair of levers from Adjustable Custom Brake & Clutch Levers - Sport bike Racing Parts-Performance Sportbike Custom Levers,Rear sets,Billet Mirror,Sport bike Accessories
I got full length for four finger use but short levers are also available.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
or you can invest in a very good setup that some claim is unnecessary, but i mean to tell ya, it rocks: get 4 pot calipers and some adapter plates from SV racing parts, throw in a set of stainless lines and a shorty lever like GW recommended and you will be able to stop EASILY with ONE FINGER and a very short pull by comparison.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks for the replies,

Just today i tried the brake strong enough to feel how the rear wheel went into the air. So i guess it's powerful enough. I just thought that all disc brakes were supposed to be operated with only two fingers.

I have no idea how the use of two or four will make a difference being on or off road. I've never been off road.

By the way my Wee is 2004, and still rocks :hurray:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I did it once with just the tools that came with the bike and was able just to work on the right caliper, the other bleeding bolt was not cooperative. After this, the brake got indeed better. Finally i got a decent wrench yesterday and i decided to complete the job on the left caliper. To my surprise the brake got longer again.

Should i re-do the bleeding again in both calipers? Is it normal?

I appreciate your advices, as always.

Regards,
It is not normal to have air in the system and it is dangerous. Try it again. Use the procedure in the manual. Do the left side (side you get on from) first, and then the right. You must have a clear plastic tube (so you may see the air bubbles) over the bleeder valve nipple, running down into a container. Remove the master cover and fill the reservoir. You must use new unopened break fluid DOT4 glycol based. The break fluid is like a sponge and will take water from the air and the water will cause trouble in your system. Pump the break several times holding the last pump and then open the bleeder a 1/4 turn and close it when your lever bottoms out. Repeat several times checking the res. full each time. Do the right side likewise.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
As usual Greywolf is right about the long brake lever throw being normal, though of course you should make sure the system is bled properly. Also the brake lever position is adjustable with the little wheel on top of it. You might try setting it a bit further out, so it doesn't hit your other fingers when pulled in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts