StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Im new here. Can anyone confirm that this post is in the right place? Is this in the right topic? Is this the right thread? Thank guys.:confused:

I have a experience from lastnight at only 730 miles.:yikes: Today is Monday 4/15. P icked up my bike from Bert's Mega Mall in covina from its 600 mile service. I turned it in at 598 miles, and got it back with 602 miles.:thumbup:

On the way home on the freeway, my from right caliper fell off. It dinged up my rim and fender pretty good. I thank God it wasnt me!!! :jawdrop:

This sould be a good poinit to drive home, if you dont know EXACTLY what you are doing, take it in for the first 600 mile service, and have it done by a certified Suzuki mechanic. It's more than just a oil change. I purchsed a Mechanic manual, and there is alot of tourquing to do, not tightening....

I would of felt really bad if I did this maintenance and this happened. I recall my girlfriend saying, "dont be cheep with your life".. meaning go get it done by a professional.

With that note, I see on some of the other threads that the motorcycle gets shipped with no front tire installed. That's kinda some good news, because i want to know WHAT HAPPENED!! Can anyone confirm that this is true
Apond inspection from lastnight ( not a really good one) I see that they marked all the bolts that were tightened. Im not sure if they need Locktight, but ill find out.

Im just putting this out there foreveryone to read. Be safe, dont be cheap with your life. Keep the rubber side down and be safe out there.

Ill update this thread with the info the dealer gives me. Take care guys.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
777Trooper.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Second person who has reportes the front caliper coming off. As the other thread said, "dealer error." Who ever did the pre delivery inspection did not do their job.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
722 Posts
See, to me, this is exactly the sort of reason to do things youself. It's not "being cheap with your life", its putting your life in the hands of someone who cares more about it than anyone else, barring maybe your immediate family members.

My motto for years has been "Nobody, but nobody, cares about your stuff like you do". And your life is your ultimate "stuff"", without which, no other stuff matters. That said, I don't recommend folks blindly grab a wrench and attack their bike, especially if they have no mechanical experience. But there are tons of ways to learn, and that's when that whole knowledge is power thing comes in. Learn, then do, although in most cases, both things happen together.

With the knowledge of what a 600 mile check consists of, and probably tools costing less than the labor charge is, you could do that check and know, deep in your soul, that it was done right, because the hand on the wrench was yours.

And if you do have stuff done, almost no knowledge is needed to do a post maintenance check. Yep, the guy who did the work gets paid to do a good job, but he's human. Going over the bike for loose/missing fasteners cant hurt, might help. In avaition, no work is done that isnt checked by at least one more set of eyeballs, and still the pilot will do his own walkaround.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I understand the, do it yourself thinking now! I will be doing it my self now. I'm purchasing a proto wrench this weekend. Also can you link me to the other thread that the caliper came off. Thanks

777trooper

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
the 600 mile check up is only to pad the dealer's pocket. if the dealer does the set up--that you paid for--why would you need to have the 600 mile service done? oil change yes, but checking their work from the original set up? if they did not do it properly the first time, chances are it won't happen at 600 mile checkup either. my dealer did a good job on mine...LOCKTITE every where!

·
Registered
18 Posts
At least three people have posted this on Stromtroopers, myself included. Again, the right front caliper. I was approaching a red light at an active intersection... Didn't stop until I was 10 feet into the intersection.

I called Suzuki North America and filed a complaint, then went straight to the dealer the next morning (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) and had a "nice" chat with the owner. Long story short, I got a new rim, and new caliper, a free service, and a full refund of my "setup" fee.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/100369-check-your-nuts-bolts.html

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/75136-front-brake-howling.html#post829600

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
More proof that the 600 mile dealer service is a waste of time and money. :yesnod:

Now suzuki has a promotion starting this weekend about bringing your bike for service. Win a Hyabusa (one in a million chance) and have the front caliper fall off!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have purchased a Suzuki mechanics manual. Im going to do it my self. As the days go by, I'm getting madder that the basics was not done (im my opinion, findings of what happen has not been completed). Im disappointed in the dealership and the first service. I plan to update this thread as soon as Berts gives me a call this afternoon after the inspection. Hold on tight...here it comes!!!

·
Registered
15,795 Posts
Says a lot about Bert's MegaMall. I don't mind looking at stuff there but don't find it a place I want to spend my money.
I've had the calipers off numerous times to change tires and don't use lock-tite and don't use a torque wrench either and I don't get loose bolts.
When I did it was my oversight.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Years ago I decided that I would do the work myself and take the money I saved on labor and put it into tools. I now have two standup toolboxes filled with nice tools. I also have the knowledge that if something goes wrong on one of my bikes, the person at fault is looking back at me in the mirror. I have gone from not knowing squat about mechanics in my early years to being a pretty good wrench now.

The trick to all of this is finding someone to teach you when your knowledge is on the low end of the curve. I made a point of making friends with every mechanic I could and asking if I could watch them work. Furnished them with beer and food if necessary. Before long I was on my way to being a wrench myself. I also bought books, many books. Read them all. I still buy a Shop Manual on anything I buy. Lots of good information there.

Even now that I have reached the point that I physically can't do some of the work myself, I know what to look at to make sure the work was done properly by the mechanic. It is your life you are putting at risk when work is done on your bike. It is worth learning how to wrench even if you don't plan on doing your own work. Besides, you never know when that knowledge will come in handy on some dark night far from help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Man... once again am I glad that I went over all the important bolts on my bike with my own torque wrench after delivery. Thankfully all of mine were good to go, but I still hit mine to check beofre long rides or "spirited" rides.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Triple seven, file complaints with both Suzuki Motor of America, Brea, California, and the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. The work the dealership did endangered you and others.
Suzuki Cycles - Contact
Resolving Disputes and Reporting Complaints

(Evidently Suzuki Motor of American is the new name of the post-bankruptcy American Suzuki after they shed the new car sales.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advise PT. iv called Brea and reported it. Im goin go to do the same for the other district. also a letter to follow up. This is too serious to let it go if they fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was at Berts this last weekend. Nice place to look at bikes, since they have so many... but this isn't the first time I've heard about problems with their service department.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lesson learned

:headbang: lesson learned:furious:

Well guys if learned a lot and have changed my ways of thinking in this short time of being here. I want to say thank you too all who help me reach where I'm at at his time!

Well to cut the cheese... Bert's tried there best, but I'm not a happy stromtrooper!

Just as a folloe up, my front caliper came off at 70 MPH after picking it up from its 6000 mile service. It caliper came off 140 miles, 32 hours later.

My request was to find the cause and replace all parts effected. I got a new Parts dented or scratched by the incident. I didn't get my front tire replaced. The caliper scraped off the little rubber hairs and scratched the tire. Bert's said it was not damaged. But what if I wanted to sell my bike? They would ask wtf happened to your tire!

After 1 tow, and 2 trips back to Bert's, I finally got my break lines changed. The service manager said he inspected them, and the was no damage. I told him that these break lines got twisted and flung around at 70 MPH by the rim. He told me that he inspected them and they are good. After special permission from the owner, I got them changed out. He was a jerk!

I also didn't get both breaks changed out. Why should I wear unevenly? Or maybe I'm just being picky!? Please your input is appreciated!

So Bert's said, since Suzuki didn't spec it to place locktite on the bolts, they feel the cause of the caliper coming off was the vibration of the motorcycle. They said that THIS motorcycle was prone to harsh vibrations at high RPMs. The vibrations cause the caliper mounting bolts to come off. The solution along with my recommendation was to put locktite.

Bert's said they reported the incident to Suzuki.

I called Suzuki in brea. He said the is no problem with the calipers coming off. And if they were to come off because of vibration, why so soon.

That's when it started to sink in and I started to realize that I'm pissed at Bert's. There service manager was a jerk! And he was the manager hat supervised the repairs after! Omg!

Well they went over the bike and placed locktite on the caliper bolts.

After I got the bike back from them, low and behold, the bike ran soooo smooth. They tighten up the bolts alright. I wonder what other bolts they missed. I say that because I only feel that 4800 rpm vibration hat everne is talking about And nothing else. It's vibrated like a mad dog when I took into service!

Lesson learned. Buy the manual and do it yourself. If your don't know, you better learn like you learned how to ride the bike. Buy a tourqu wrench!

Dealers for basic minor service is a ripoff.

Don't trust no one with your life..... That means your bike!

Read and investigate as much as you can. You will be better off or be asking more question. Either way, your ahead of the game.

Inspect your bike EVERy TIMe you ride.

Thank you for listening me to rant

777 Trooper

P.s. after talking crap to the sales manager I got the bike from, the front desk service manager called me and gave me a free 4000 Mile service. That's a oil change and Torquing the bolts they forgot the first time. Whatch ya think?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would say forget them. Both brake likes should be replaced! Inspection or not, tears could have occurred internally causing the brakes to either stay engaged or not at all! This is why you hang or tie up the caliper, taking the stress off the brake line, when you change your brakes. They should be 100% responsible for any and all damage. If you had been hurt, your insurance company would have raped them for a lot of money! They did not do the service properly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
463 Posts
P.s. after talking crap to the sales manager I got the bike from, the front desk service manager called me and gave me a free 4000 Mile service. That's a oil change and Torquing the bolts they forgot the first time. Whatch ya think?
:green_lol: yeah, that'll be the day.

Sorry for all of your trouble, I learned long ago myself to not trust these service depts. :frown:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
If you really want to be safe, drill the bolts and safety wire them up!

I think you can buy them pre drilled too, some sell jigs for drilling bolt heads etc. Luckily the swiss cheeze bolts are easy to drill.

Airplane mechanics use safety wire for everything. Google it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts