StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using front axle sliders? They seem a good farkle to protect the forks and brake calipers; on the other hand, they may be unnecessary if the bike has chrash bars.
Looking at the owner's photos, I don't see anyone using them. Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you don't have crash bars I guess they could be useful, but they run 1/3 of the price of crash bars which protect a lot more. With bags, bars, and handguards the area you speak of doesn't touch the ground and most have all or a combination. To me they get lumped with radiator guards and the little ones from SW-Motech (brake fluid, exhaust valve). Unnecessary for most but a way to buy new stuff for your bike that's relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is anyone using front axle sliders? They seem a good farkle to protect the forks and brake calipers; on the other hand, they may be unnecessary if the bike has chrash bars.
Looking at the owner's photos, I don't see anyone using them. Please share your thoughts.
One of my front fork reflectors was sacrificed when I lay my Vee2 over. The fork leg or caliper didn't get a scratch. I guess it was worth it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm beginning to think that the fork sliders are mostly cosmetic on these bikes. I also agree with Brisky's opinion when it comes to the myriad of guards available for these bikes...except perhaps for the radiator guard.
You may never need it, but having it could prevent a costly ($525 + shipment) repair.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Crash bars will work in loose dirt, will sliders? I think sliders are more for street use.
Perhaps sliders are mainly for street use. Still, I remember some very rocky trails in Colorado (Ophir Pass) that could have easilly damaged the fork's inner or outer tube if dropped... Looking at the parts catalong, I see that the outer tube for a DL1000 is $346. The inner tube: $311. Each damper assembly: $688. I have no idea what punishment these forks will take before needing replacement, but it seems logical to invest on a product that could potentially avoid costly damage to the suspension for a fraction of the replacement cost.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
If you like to play off the beaten track sliders can get caught up on things and cause more damage or a accident so there is no right answer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions. After much consideration I decided to order some protection for the front and rear axles. I hope it's never put to the test.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
My advice to anyone considering this mod is "Don't even hesitate!".

I say this after losing the front on wet pavement turning into the grocery store parking lot last night in a rain storm. I was going about 12 mph and downshifted to first to let the engine braking steer the rear and of course it doesn't go in 1st but just grinds and pops back in neutral so I have no traction on the rear wheel and am already in the apex of the turn so I had to lean a little more and "boom" the front let loose I slide off the bike and watch it skid for about 10 feet.

I was considering axle sliders when I bought this last year. Wish I had done it. The axle and nut is rashed. Bent the rear brake pedal, front brake lever, scratch a lot of the plastic on the tank. The brake pedal got into the engine cover, handle bars bent, bar end weights rashed.

It seems to have a heavier vibration then normal now so I'll have to have a very close look at those engine mounts.

I'll tell ya this has been a real bad luck bike for me. It's funny I was so paranoid about buying my 2013 BMW S1000rr because of the "13" but this Strom has been the unlucky bike. Lol. Anyway a slider would have helped for what it's worth and crash bars would have really help. Not trying to steer with the rear would have prevented everything.

Adios

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nothing hurt but my pride and the bike of course. I was wearing my gear otherwise my elbow would have been shattered. I never wore gear until about 15 years ago and now I couldn't imagine riding without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts