StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

I removed my wheel and notice some notches worn in to my front axle.
the bike is a 2006 650 with just over 10k miles

Do you think need to replace the axle and how did this happen?
thanks for any input

the marks seem to be at both bearings and more wear at the right side bearing
the marks are only one one side of the axle

i used a torque wrench when installing the axle
my guess is this happens when my forks bottom out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would replace it for peace of mind, howver, you may be able to use some emry cloth to Lightly remove the galling. I would be carefull not to go deep, but just remove any rough edges. Also be sure that no right angles exist as these are stress risors and will promote fatique cracking.
When using the emry cloth, try to spread out the buffing so there is a nice transition or no abrubt changes in material thickness. If you have any doubts replace the axle.
If you look at the collared ring next to the shoulder of the axle in the photo. You will see no right angle exist, this is the reason the edges are rounded.
Typically one would maintain a 3 to 1 taper to insure reliabilty, meaning the depth of the gouge would spead out 3 times the width for blending purposes.
Sorry and I don't mean to sound technical, but it is your axle which has a profound effect on personal saftey. This is also a precision peace with mating surfaces, I cannot see the depth but certianly excercise careful judgement. If it appears to be greater than...say.. 1/32" I would replace the item. Once again no notches, and no right angles. Just my honest opinion and I am sure others will find it debatable.
I would also investagate the root cause, there could be some sort of lap on the inner race of the bearing or something that would create this issue. If any doubt exist, i would replace the bearing. The tolerance is very tight, so I find a lap to be a far chance. Perhaps something in the speedo collar, something wrapped around the axle while your where riding. I want to say the shoulder of the axle is on the left side of the bike as the thread engagement area is on the left. There has to be somthing there that is very shiny or shows wear from this contact area.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd change the axle and the bearings.

·
Registered
241 Posts
+1 on what tmcgee said.

Axles are surface hardened and using an abrasive to clean it up will remove that. Then you run a chance of more galling or worse the axle welding itself in place.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A set of bearings is about $10 from Amotostuff. Not sure about the axle. The rear axle costs about $50.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Same. Replace. When I did my 1st tyre change, the mechanic poked the axle in and started to crank it, but stripped the first 3 or 4 threads from the bottom of the fork leg! Just a warning to be careful on that one!:mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts