Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know them for a 2014? Google is showing plenty for older models or new 650’s but I don’t see any for the 2014+DL1000a. Pinch bolt specs would be nice too.

The best I could find was 72 ft. lbs front and rear and 28 on the pinch bolts. I now have a wallow when making a turn. I’m wondering if I torqued things wrong.

I suppose it could be the soft compound bias Shinko 804/805. I never really had it until I put these on the other day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
User manual:

Front axle tightening torque:100 N·m (10.0 kgf-m, 72.5 lbf-ft)
Front axle holder bolt tighteningtorque:23 N·m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lbf-ft)
Front brake caliper mounting bolttightening torque:39 N·m (3.9 kgf-m, 28.0 lbf-ft)

Rear axle nut tightening torque:100 N·m (10.0 kgf-m, 72.5 lbf-ft)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think they would have to be very loose to actually feel a wallow.
Don't forget the anti-seize grease on your V-2 axles. (galling is a known issue)

·
Registered
171 Posts
NVDucati;5431569 Don't forget the anti-seize grease on your V-2 axles. (galling is a known issue)[/QUOTE said:
If you use anti seize make sure you don't torque it to 72.5 ft lbs. it will be over torqued. Not sure of the spec when using anti seize, someone on here will know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you use anti seize make sure you don't torque it to 72.5 ft lbs. it will be over torqued. Not sure of the spec when using anti seize, someone on here will know.
According to GreyWolf via Stalky Tracker:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/5411235-post10.html

"Yep, Greywolf recommended 58 ft lb and anti-seize on the rear axle nut. Anti-seize to prevent galling and 58 due to the use of a lubricant (anti-seize) which lowers the 72 setting to 80% or 58, if I remember correctly."

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmmm I did use copper graff on the rear. I better loosen it up and retorque it. I wonder if that’s what started the wallowing in turns. We will see if it improves. I’ve detected a hop in the front on smooth roads. I’m beginning to wonder if that front tire is out of round some how.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it's the tires most likely. IIRC, the shinko 804/805 and 705 are Bias ply, and so don't have quite the same characteristics as a good street radial. I just put a set of 705s on my 2015 1000 (had them on 2 other 650's in prior years), and i noticed that the handling is similar in that theres lots of fall in initially, and theres the usual odd transition from low speed to high speed where you turn handlebars in the same direction to turn then switch to counter steer to maintain.

What i noticed that IS different is that the front steering is very sensitive to rapid input, and will shake more, as if it's low traction in the front. on the 650's the tires liked being near or even slightly over the recommended max pressure on the road, so i dropped the front pressures by 4 psi (didn't help much). but i then increased rear preload by about 3 mm and it helped quite a bit by putting more weight on the front tire. so i would recommend playing w/ tire pressures a bit and preload and see if it helps.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was thinking I was looking at radials when I ordered these. I must have ordered the wrong ones. I’m not a fan of bias tires. But for $170 can’t get hurt too bad as long as I don’t crash.

I played around with the air pressure and noticed a slight change. I’ll try the suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts