StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new brake lines the other day and went to change them. Had a hard getting to the other end of the short lines that connect to the rigid lines that's above the radiator. Ran out of time so I just put it away for the day.what's the easiest way to do these? Take off side fairing? Radiator or what?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Can't help you there...keep in mind that bleeding all the air from these lines is very tedious. Crack the banjo bolt at the master cylinder and bleed out the air bubbles, and again and again and again.... Strap the brake lever down overnight to get the last of the air out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got one of those speed bleeders. I never used one but everyone says it makes it quicker and easier. Just not sure how they work. Gotta figure that out too! I'm sure ill get it. Just looking for any tips that might make it easier.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Speed bleeders only allow fluid out, not air in. The bleeders do not need to be closed when the brake lever is released.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I got one of those speed bleeders.
???

"Speed Bleeders®" are replacement brake bleed nipples that contain check valves to allow fluid out, not air in, as GW said. You need one for each caliper, not just one. Did you get a bleed nipple from Blair for the master cylinder? Or a Mityvac vacuum pump for bleeding brakes, or ???

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I got my new brake lines the other day and went to change them. Had a hard getting to the other end of the short lines that connect to the rigid lines that's above the radiator. Ran out of time so I just put it away for the day.what's the easiest way to do these? Take off side fairing? Radiator or what?
Take one of the side fairings off. The rigid line on the throttle side of the bike was much harder for me, so that's the side I took off (2012 DL650 bike). I also pulled the gas tank.

The holes in the mounting brackets did not line up with the holes in the brake line fittings and had to be drilled out.

Just FYI. You don't need fancy speed bleeders, but the speed bleeder fluid bag is a very cool tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts