StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, inmates. I am a transfer from VFRD (don't worry, I'm low security, no mess), looking for some insight.

I've been riding for about four years, first on a Nighthawk, then on my darling Fluffer, my beautiful RWB 1st Gen VFR700. I love that bike. She does not love me; she's cramped, tight, finicky as only an 80s bike can be, and do I ever LOATHE maintaining that rack of carbs. It's not that they're hard, it's just that I'm an EFI sort of guy. Four carbs and tight spaces make for an unhappy wrenchmonkey. I put 12k on my Nighthawk my first year riding; unless it was POURING or there was ice, I took that bike everywhere. I think I'm up to a cumulative 30k in my four years now.

My girlfriend brought up the possibility of riding with me sometime; my Fluffer will not be suitable for that in the least. She barely carries my 6'3", long-legged frame with any sort of comfort. My ladyfriend is not a member of the "petite elite" club, and she has long legs on her too, so my trusty old Nighthawk won't be a great fit either.

I've toyed with getting a Wee for some time now, or the much cheaper and near omnipresent SV. With the added bonus of lady riding times (we're going to go shopping post-Christmas for a helmet and gloves, and I'm open to suggestions for inexpensive jacket sources aside from the usual CL/Ebay) I'm adding onto my search criteria, newly including "must have passenger space comfy enough to not turn my lovely geek off of riding."

We're both what is euphemistically referred to as "under-employed" (I'm a BSEE, she's an MFA Lit) so used is the name of the game, no brand new V2 for me or I wouldn't be posting here in the V-curious section!

Combined we're knocking on 410-420 geared up, and for the forseeable future I don't envision any camping, just mostly day-trips, with possibly a handful of overnight stay-in-hotels travel. My geek is not an outdoors geek, not yet.

650? Hunt up the more rare and pricey Vee? Find an SV1k doppelgänger? Chuck it all to the wind and just find a Vifferpig to retain that delicious V4 snarl? ST? Find a Concours, or a Versys?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The Wee will handle 2-up, but it won't launch and pass at 80mph ?.

It's not exactly slow and it doesn't struggle 2-up but it doesn't have the oomph of the 1000. Space and load capacity is near identical to the 1000, pretty sure the SV would be cramped as would be the versys.

Pete

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete. So for a leisurely pace a Wee would be adequate? I'm much more the "enjoy the scenery" guy by and large, I can't imagine suddenly getting the boy-racer urge with a passenger.

Are there any quick and easy swaps to get a stiffer/better rear shock? Something I could pilfer from another bike, while we find the funds for a proper aftermarket upgrade?

Should probably go trawling through the Wee sections to find that info, but I'm open to suggestions here too.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Fox, there is always the option of changing from the Wee stock 15 to a 14 tooth front sprocket for more grunt. It puts you farther up the hp curve for more rpms and more giddy-up.

For the shock, two things, the spring rate and the damping. Both are mediocre on the stock shock. There are a couple of rebuilders who can re-work the shock for better damping. Many shops can change to a spring to suit the loaded riding weight. You will also want to put in front springs for your weight (pax doesn't put weight on the front), about $90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox, there is always the option of changing from the Wee stock 15 to a 14 tooth front sprocket for more grunt. It puts you farther up the hp curve for more rpms and more giddy-up.
What sort of economy hit will I take with that? My Nighthawk is +2 teeth up front for a ~15% drop in revs, it let me shift a lot more and improved cruising range by about 10%.

For the shock, two things, the spring rate and the damping. Both are mediocre on the stock shock. There are a couple of rebuilders who can re-work the shock for better damping. Many shops can change to a spring to suit the loaded riding weight. You will also want to put in front springs for your weight (pax doesn't put weight on the front), about $90.
Yeah, I've resprung both the Nighthawk and Fluffer, I put straight rate springs in the latter but a set of Progressive springs on the NIghthawk. Quick and easy upgrade for the Nighthawk, the Viffer was already pretty close so I didn't see much benefit.

You mention rebuilders, this would be the first bike I've had with rebuildable suspension bits. What does that usually run, $100? $200?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Thanks Pete. So for a leisurely pace a Wee would be adequate? I'm much more the "enjoy the scenery" guy by and large, I can't imagine suddenly getting the boy-racer urge with a passenger.

Are there any quick and easy swaps to get a stiffer/better rear shock? Something I could pilfer from another bike, while we find the funds for a proper aftermarket upgrade?

Should probably go trawling through the Wee sections to find that info, but I'm open to suggestions here too.
Yeah, my wife has her own bike now and we only did a couple of trips of a few hours (included some decent hills in that) with no problems. Springs will get you most of the way there, but the rear does get overwhelmed with stronger springs, others have made suggestions there and I'd advise that but I think the DL's are the most 'load capable' bikes around short of the Goldwing, sane speeds with a pillion is no problem at all.

What costs you MPG is large luggage (wind drag) and high speeds, weight as such didn't make a difference for me either.

Pete

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought you where converting one bike to the other lol

But a wee or. We, they are flexible enough

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What sort of economy hit will I take with that? My Nighthawk is +2 teeth up front for a ~15% drop in revs, it let me shift a lot more and improved cruising range by about 10%.
My fuel average consumption dropped from 5.2 lt per 100ks to 4.5 lt per 100ks when I changed from a 15t to a 14t,

In stock trim the Wee does not have enough power to pull it's self to top speed and redline, the 14t helps.

I will point out I never ride to conserve fuel, I ride for fun, I often exceed the speed limits and carry a pillion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are not a small guy. Long legs make the bit heavier 1000 not an issue, and I suspect you will appreciate the added power of the 1000 over the 650. Not to say the 650 would be a problem for you though. There are good deals on both the 650 and 1000 both on this site and on advrider.com (decent 1000 there now for $3600 last I say)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I add this message just to confirm we all have usernames that start with P.
We all did! But all streaks must ultimately come to an end.

My fuel average consumption dropped from 5.2 lt per 100ks to 4.5 lt per 100ks when I changed from a 15t to a 14t,

In stock trim the Wee does not have enough power to pull it's self to top speed and redline, the 14t helps.

I will point out I never ride to conserve fuel, I ride for fun, I often exceed the speed limits and carry a pillion.
I ride for fun too, but sometimes I've found that for me tossing a goal out there and working to meet it is more fun than just wringing it's neck all the time. I don't just do it with bikes, either: I've hit 40mpg on two successive tanks in an old Mitsu Lancer, and spent a whole week trying to get one of the buses at work up into the double digits for economy while staying on schedule. Normal mileage for those is 4.5-5.5mpg, so I really was trying to halve fuel consumption. It was fantastic fun, though lots of dedication needed.

Good info to have, I appreciate it.

You are not a small guy. Long legs make the bit heavier 1000 not an issue, and I suspect you will appreciate the added power of the 1000 over the 650. Not to say the 650 would be a problem for you though. There are good deals on both the 650 and 1000 both on this site and on advrider.com (decent 1000 there now for $3600 last I say)
Not a small guy, no. I can flat-foot most bikes, with a 34-35" inseam and big feet.

I'm leaning toward the bigger bike, but I'd really like to get a bit of seat time in one if I can before I decide and buy.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Make sure that she will ride with you! First my V Strom was Vee which I got after riding VFR800 6th gen. Thinking similar power to VFR and perspective of riding with my better one. It happened only few times. After my second Vee I went for Wee. Now I'm on my 4th Wee and never looked back. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't worry, I'm not buying a bike just based on whether or not she could go with me. All the bikes I'm looking at seriously are ones I've wanted or at least wanted to try for a while, this just stripped away the ones that aren't at all suited for us two-up, like the new Ninjette and the little CB500 series.

Stroms were on my list before she brought it up, and even though a lot of people refer to it as a snoozemobile the NC700 is on the list too. I do a lot of commuting, and that's essentially the perfect bike for it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Pfox, make a decision or get to ride one yet? I am just waiting for a warmer day here in CT to take one for a spin. for me it is wee, vee or tiger 800???

·
Registered
12 Posts

I actually went the other way, 15 to 16 tooth front sprocket. As I'm sure many others can attest, there wasn't a noticeable difference in acceleration and it's really nice to gets those rpms below 6k on the freeway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts