StromTrooper banner

From OEM Heated Grips to Hot Grips

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tmcgee 
#1 ·
I replaced the Suzuki heated grips with Hot Grips today. Heat-wise, they seem to be about the same, but that's based on the bike idling in the driveway. I'll have a better idea of the differences after my next 100 mile ride. I'm using an electronic controller with the new grips.

The Hot Grips are heated all the way around and that's why I switched. Cold fingertips.

#2 ·
Did you get the HotGrips brand variable controller? If so, how/where did you mount it?

In my case I fixed up a temporary mount by putting it in a box from "The Source" and Velcroing it to the Left Side Grip Protector.

My Left side seems a bit cooler.. I suspect it is my soldering job but please let me know if you notice a similar effect when you get out riding with it.

..Tom

#4 ·
Left side seems a bit cooler

Tom,

The handle bar may be absorbing the heat.

Quotes from two other postings.

"Suzuki heated grips the left is barely warm while the right is cooking my hand."

Solution :

"Use a piece of thick walled heat shrink tubing to act as an insulator on the clutch side."

I have the Suzuki heated grips and experience the same problem, now I know why. Just wanted to share.

AlleyCat

#3 ·
Yes, I used the Hot Grips controller mounted by drilling a hole in the horizontal black plastic to the left of the gauges on the clutch side. It's a little less convenient than the OEM controller mounted to the mirror base, but not much of a reach.

Just sitting in the driveway, the grips were about the same temp. The real test comes on the next 20 degree (F) ride.

#6 ·
Yeah, in the OEM grips the heating elements are indeed only in one half (if that, it's more like an inch-wide) but careful pre-positioning of the clutch-side grip will put the heat *mostly* where you want it, palm or fingertips. On the throttle side, the throttle cables limit placement flexibility.

For me, the heaters work "OK" in all but the coldest temps; when it's 0-5C parts of my hands, thumbs mostly, still get cold with the heaters cranked all the way up. I have the OEM handguards too.

Also, be aware that the grip temps will vary with RPM's... at warm-idle they do not seem to work at all.

Overall, I think they're OK for cool days when a touch of heat is nice to have but the Hot Grips sound like a better but not necessarily perfect solution (YMMV!). I will most likely get heated gloves for when it's really cold.

- Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.