StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone from Italy! I write from there ..... sorry for any grammar errors but I only use the translator!
I open this new topic to get any feedback from other owners / users of this fabulous bike, only of the XT version (as the problem concerns the operation of the Cruise Control)
I state that a report has already been opened to Suzuki Italy and also in Japan I have recently become aware of it, (more or less from April 2020) currently the problem afflicts me, and two or three other fellow motorcyclists in Italy as far as I know. ... through Facebook and other social channels I proceeded to send a message to other new owners of the bike in question but there are many who have not yet used the Cruise, because they travel a few kilometers on the highway or because of Covid and its lockdown!

It's not a problem that leaves you on your feet but it's also about safety. It is also a nuisance, because if you are on the motorway, in addition to receiving a header from the passenger's helmet, it could happen that you are overtaking or the usual stupid on duty who sticks to the rear wheel just when it disconnects and the bike slows down. sudden suddenly lowering the speed and risking that the car that follows will enter your ass !!

Basically, while driving with the cruise control on, suddenly it is deactivated as if you were braking momentarily due to the presence of an obstacle or a slower vehicle or simply because you want to detach it voluntarily. And, by pressing the "resume" button, everything goes back to working as before. Exactly as if we had disengaged it voluntarily by braking.
The warning light remains on, the symbol on the dashboard also and in line with the momentary suspension, the set speed remains memorized.

Obviously any my or our inattentions that may have accidentally deactivated the Cruise have been categorically excluded for some time! Personally, I traveled about 27000 km with the bike and used the motorway and long stretches of state roads very often, so the problem occurred to me at least a hundred times, extremely randomly, in all conditions of speed, road, load, etc. .... both I and my other "colleague" with whom we are in constant contact, we have already done several tests and checks, also in consultation with Suzuki assistance, in this case:

- Lowered the brake pedal by about 1 cm and adjusted the "stop" light button accordingly, giving it a further margin of intervention.

- Tried to carry out several and prolonged tests with the Traction Control deactivated and in the various settings, 1 - 2 - 3 with negative results. The Cruise continues to deactivate randomly in terms of distance and time.

- After connecting the Diagnosis computer and making a nice long ride hoping that the disconnection would happen, this fortunately detected a generic "brake engagement" during the test, when the disconnection occurred twice at a short distance from each other. 'other....

- disconnected the two pins of the micro switches of the front and rear brake stops, the cruise is activated and goes quietly even with these disconnected and, more importantly, it disconnects correctly by activating the brakes, indicating that the normal and correct deactivation of the Cruise occurs when it is the hydraulic circuit of the brakes that detects its activation. On the other hand, since the two switches are normally open and single contact, the system cannot in any way verify that they are not faulty. So it goes without saying that they cannot be the ones to determine the deactivation of the cruise control. At the very least, it can't just be them.

-Other practical tests were the verification of any false contacts on the blocks and the fuse holder in the saddle, obviously, and unfortunately with negative results.

Left block under warranty replaced ..... no improvements;

Replaced the right block, of the accelerator, under warranty ..... no improvement;

The ECU was replaced last week, I'm still in the test phase!

While waiting to find out if the problem is the ECU, if there is any owner of 1050 XT who has had a similar anomaly, knock a beat!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have only had my DL1050XT for a few weeks, and have only 950km on it. I have used the cruise control a bit during that time, and I will confirm that it has dropped out on me a few times. The first time was when I had hit a very small bump in the road, and I had my hand off the throttle at the time, so I knew it wasn't my hand that shut it off. It also dropped out on me on the freeway once without any bumps, also with my hand resting on the bar ends - not on the throttle itself. I am not sure where my right foot was during these times, so I can't 100% say that I didn't accidentally touch the rear brake pedal, but I don't think I did. So far with my limited time on this bike, it seems that there is indeed an issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is a post from another user also having this issue.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've experienced it myself, several times. As I bought the bike mid-trip while in Colorado I was very much glad to have cruise control for the 2600 return trip. I too had the very same issue happen very randomly several times a day on that trip home. I figured that at some point either I'd see a posting like this and know I wasn't alone or eventually take it to the dealer and start that dreaded process of proving there is an issue. So it's good to see I'm not alone.

I can assure you that I had my right hand off the throttle and I was no where near the brake the 8-10 times it happened over the course of 3 days. As the roads through northern Kansas are rather straight (go look at 36) braking was not my biggest concern. So I'd be happy to offer my bike if they want a US based version to compare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to say that I am happy to have found other companions in "misfortune" but this is not the case ...! One thing I have seen is that the problem, even if very random, occurs more frequently with very high temperatures. This summer, in southern Italy, with temperatures of 40 ° C, he disconnected very often during the motorway sections, while in winter the frequency is much less! However, here in Italy on one of the other bikes, Suzuki inspectors came to do some tests with testers, in order to verify the problem. For sure I have found excellent assistance from Suzuki to try to solve the problem ... hopefully, I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I would start by disconnecting the rear brake light switch.

The way they are set up a bump could trigger a false signal the the system.

It's a easy test to do and worth a try in my opinion.

I assume it has LED lights so my other tests would not be much help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE = "Rolex, post: 5548548, membro: 44146"]
Comincerei scollegando l'interruttore della luce del freno posteriore.

Il modo in cui sono impostati un urto potrebbe innescare un falso segnale nel sistema.

È un test facile da fare e vale la pena provare secondo me.

Presumo che abbia luci a LED, quindi i miei altri test non sarebbero di grande aiuto.
[/CITAZIONE]
è un test che ho già fatto! è stata una delle prime cose che ho provato con il mio meccanico ... le abbiamo praticamente provate tutte, anche perché la Suzuki, prima di cambiare i due blocchi e la centralina, voleva essere sicura di aver escluso tutto!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would start by disconnecting the rear brake light switch.

The way they are set up a bump could trigger a false signal the the system.

It's a easy test to do and worth a try in my opinion.

I assume it has LED lights so my other tests would not be much help.
it is a test that I have already done! it was one of the first things I tried with my mechanic ... we practically tried them all, also because Suzuki, before changing the two blocks and the ECU wanted to be sure to have excluded everything!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to say that I am happy to have found other companions in "misfortune" but this is not the case ...! One thing I have seen is that the problem, even if very random, occurs more frequently with very high temperatures. This summer, in southern Italy, with temperatures of 40 ° C, he disconnected very often during the motorway sections, while in winter the frequency is much less! However, here in Italy on one of the other bikes, Suzuki inspectors came to do some tests with testers, in order to verify the problem. For sure I have found excellent assistance from Suzuki to try to solve the problem ... hopefully, I'll keep you updated!
I had that 2 or 3 times this weekend. 8 degrees celsius though, can't blame warm weather.
I feel like I might have moved my right hand as if to close the throttle and triggered the cruise roll-off sensor, adjusting my grip for comfort, but then when I tried to do it manually after that, the roll off has some serious resistance to it, does not seem like that was the case

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
too many times I had the doubt of having touched something that could have deactivated the cruise ... but then thinking about it it was not my fault, also because, as you wrote, to deactivate it you have to want it and be decisive, slightly touching the controls the cruise remains active normally!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone from Italy! I write from there ..... sorry for any grammar errors but I only use the translator!
I open this new topic to get any feedback from other owners / users of this fabulous bike, only of the XT version (as the problem concerns the operation of the Cruise Control)
I state that a report has already been opened to Suzuki Italy and also in Japan I have recently become aware of it, (more or less from April 2020) currently the problem afflicts me, and two or three other fellow motorcyclists in Italy as far as I know. ... through Facebook and other social channels I proceeded to send a message to other new owners of the bike in question but there are many who have not yet used the Cruise, because they travel a few kilometers on the highway or because of Covid and its lockdown!

It's not a problem that leaves you on your feet but it's also about safety. It is also a nuisance, because if you are on the motorway, in addition to receiving a header from the passenger's helmet, it could happen that you are overtaking or the usual stupid on duty who sticks to the rear wheel just when it disconnects and the bike slows down. sudden suddenly lowering the speed and risking that the car that follows will enter your ass !!

Basically, while driving with the cruise control on, suddenly it is deactivated as if you were braking momentarily due to the presence of an obstacle or a slower vehicle or simply because you want to detach it voluntarily. And, by pressing the "resume" button, everything goes back to working as before. Exactly as if we had disengaged it voluntarily by braking.
The warning light remains on, the symbol on the dashboard also and in line with the momentary suspension, the set speed remains memorized.

Obviously any my or our inattentions that may have accidentally deactivated the Cruise have been categorically excluded for some time! Personally, I traveled about 27000 km with the bike and used the motorway and long stretches of state roads very often, so the problem occurred to me at least a hundred times, extremely randomly, in all conditions of speed, road, load, etc. .... both I and my other "colleague" with whom we are in constant contact, we have already done several tests and checks, also in consultation with Suzuki assistance, in this case:

- Lowered the brake pedal by about 1 cm and adjusted the "stop" light button accordingly, giving it a further margin of intervention.

- Tried to carry out several and prolonged tests with the Traction Control deactivated and in the various settings, 1 - 2 - 3 with negative results. The Cruise continues to deactivate randomly in terms of distance and time.

- After connecting the Diagnosis computer and making a nice long ride hoping that the disconnection would happen, this fortunately detected a generic "brake engagement" during the test, when the disconnection occurred twice at a short distance from each other. 'other....

- disconnected the two pins of the micro switches of the front and rear brake stops, the cruise is activated and goes quietly even with these disconnected and, more importantly, it disconnects correctly by activating the brakes, indicating that the normal and correct deactivation of the Cruise occurs when it is the hydraulic circuit of the brakes that detects its activation. On the other hand, since the two switches are normally open and single contact, the system cannot in any way verify that they are not faulty. So it goes without saying that they cannot be the ones to determine the deactivation of the cruise control. At the very least, it can't just be them.

-Other practical tests were the verification of any false contacts on the blocks and the fuse holder in the saddle, obviously, and unfortunately with negative results.

Left block under warranty replaced ..... no improvements;

Replaced the right block, of the accelerator, under warranty ..... no improvement;

The ECU was replaced last week, I'm still in the test phase!

While waiting to find out if the problem is the ECU, if there is any owner of 1050 XT who has had a similar anomaly, knock a beat!
Yes, I have had this problem exactly like you and others describe since getting my 2020 1050XT last july. I have not been to the dealer yet.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I only have about 32,000 km on my DL1050. I use the cruise control every day. I have probably used the cruise more than I have used the throttle manually.

I have had it drop out a few times but almost always I thought I backed off the throttle or went over a bump. It's pretty rare that it happens to me so that I can't duplicate it and so rare I haven't thought of it as an issue.

I would be interested to know what is triggering it and what the solution is.

..Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update: There was a recent meeting between Suzuki Italy and Suzuki Japan staff during which the problem was officially recognized (obviously)! It seems that the technicians have leaked that a total revision of the software of the IMU control unit, responsible for the problem, is in progress. They hypothesized a couple of months for the release and subsequent sending to the workshops to be installed on the bikes that have experienced this problem .... wait!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
update: There was a recent meeting between Suzuki Italy and Suzuki Japan staff during which the problem was officially recognized (obviously)! It seems that the technicians have leaked that a total revision of the software of the IMU control unit, responsible for the problem, is in progress. They hypothesized a couple of months for the release and subsequent sending to the workshops to be installed on the bikes that have experienced this problem .... wait!
Awesome, thanks for the update!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been using the cruise control a fair bit and why not it's such a great feature on this bike. I have to say though I haven't experience the issues of the cruise control dropping off. I've done nearly 19k and all good with the cruise.
If there was an update available I probably wouldn't get it as it's working okay already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
obviously an update is useful in case of problems! if everything works fine, it is useless to modify it! Also because after replacing the IMU control unit, the "Low rpm assist" doesn't work anymore !!!🥵😱😨😰😡🤬 Luckily they warned me that they will mount the old one again, which in the meantime had been sent to the Italian importer, as the L.r.p.m.a. it was fine, and then, as soon as the update comes out they will update everything!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts