StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found what I thought was a great deal on a 2014 DL 1000 w 10,000 miles for 6200. I sold me Glee and got this. I am going to have to clean it up and do a service, other than that is there anything special to know about this model. I only ever rode or owned the 650 till today.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
1.jpg

LOL, unreal. I just did the same. I bought my 2012 DL650 when my 07 Vee was totaled. I loved the 650, but always wanted to go back to the bigger motor, especially when they upgraded with TC, ABS, motor mods, etc. My wife and I drove to Reno Thursday, bought a 2014 Vee with 7,000 miles, and I rode it home today. It's nice to be back, the brakes, suspension, handling, all seem better. Congratulations on your choice, I think we'll really enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Congrats Stromtroopers. 40,000 miles on my '14 1000, and still love the bike. I assume you both know that there were recalls on the bike that need to be completed. Other than that, ride the bikes until the tires are bald, replace the tires and repeat!:grin2:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Both: Given the low miles not much service was likely done to those bikes. I would definitely change the brake, clutch and coolant fluids. When you change the brake fluids do it twice and in between exercise the front and rear activated ABS to flush out old fluid from the ABS module.

Also if it looks like the OEM tires, I would opt to change them sooner than later given their age. Tires have a born by date on the sidewall, check that date.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Be ready to hear some very weird sounds coming from the engine, after 4 summers i'm still not used to all of them. ;)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
yup. having had the 07 Vee , an 08 wee, and the 2012 wee, I'm past being nervous about the sounds. They are weird though.

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
I went from my 2012 DL650 to a 2015 DL1000. That was the end of july of 2015. The DL650 had about 139.500 km / 86,500 miles.

Somewhere I wrote a review that my 1000 reminded me a lot of my 2012 DL650 but with way way better brakes, better suspension, traction control, nicer dash and way more power. The 1000 now has over 175,500+ km / 109,000+miles. It has had it's issues (slave cylinder and clutch dragging mainly but also rear wheel bearing two or three times. (Did once on the 2012 DL650.) I just replaced the clutch basket with an improved one and that had made the bike much smoother and solved my clutch dragging as well.

Still with the issues I've had I love riding this bike!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
The Vstroms are not immune from issues. That said, take a look sometime on advrider at the number of issues from which other bikes suffer. I will gladly take whatever my Vstrom 1000 throws at me! This is one of the biggest reasons why I haven't jumped ship and purchased a different replacement bike for my Vee2.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far on my to do list:
New Tires (Shinko 705s)
New EBC Brake Pads
Change Brake Fluid
Change Clutch Fluid
Flush Radiator
Change Oil
Change Airfilter
Clean and Adjust Chain
Wash and Ride.

Am I missing anything gents and ladies

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Well if it were me I would just inspect the air filter and the brake pads. They are probably fine for many more miles.

Same with the chain. Cleaning is overrated. With the money saved by not tossing the filter and the pads get a chain oiler and ride the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts