StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought my first set of rain gear today since it's supposed to rain this week. I decided to buy local to save on shipping costs and I ended up with frogg toggs road toad set. They look really good quality and are comfortable.

I'm looking to see other peoples experiences with them? How long did they last? What problems if any did you have with them? I am a commuter in the great northwet and want to know that these will last me awhile.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had to wear mine regularly while riding - my commute is short enough that my regular riding gear (currently a Roadcrafter) is sufficient. I have worn them while at an outdoor even for several hours. Only problem there was that the elastic at the end of the sleeves gets really wet and retains the water. Since they were in contact with the sweatshirt sleeves I had on underneath, I got some wicking action.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mine lives in a side case for those days when I foolishly ride without my usual fieldsheer gear. One of those foolish days came up last month, and I wore them for an hour plus ride in torrential rain. They worked great, but my pant cuffs got wet as did my back at the waistband.

If I was to buy them again, I would go the next size up. It would be nice if Frogg Toggs made the jacket longer, or perhaps used a cinch cord rather than an elastic waist.

I've also used them several times as general purpose rain gear when we're out in nature with the kids, and kept completely dry, although I found the hood to be useless.

I didn't buy them as my primary rain gear though, and I really don't think they'd last long in that role. You might want to look at the slightly more spendy Icon PDX gear if that is what you're relying on.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i have been looking for Frogg Toggs lately too, mostly for the hot humid summer weather here. Apparently there's 3 versions. i too am looking for some feedback from owners of any of the versions.

here's what i could gather over the internet:

1) Road Toads - the original. Pros: very thin packs extremely small; very breathable;
Con: the thinness also meant that its a bit flimsy and have to be put on carefully otherwise seams get ripped easily; some says its crap others love them

2)Elite Highway- more study version; Pro: double stitching on seams around the crotch area; better reflective;
Con: thicker material means it makes bulkier; does the thicker material means less breathable to original version

3)Horny Toadz- new version; Pro: as sturdy as traditional PVC material; good reflective on the legs
Con: Any one has this one? Are they a lot less breathable as the earlier thinner ones

Is the heat patch required for vstrom riders - i have heard the pants melt on contact or close proximity to exhaust?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
My first set of rain gear was the yellow Frogg Toggs.

Overall they worked well except that water would pool in my lap or seat area and eventually would leak through and it would look like you had just pissed on yourself when you took the gear off.

The other issue is that the bottom of my legs would always get wet. I don't think that this was an issue with the gear but rather the lack of a rain booty to go over my boot and under the toggs.

I would have bought another set except for the issue I had with the zipper on the top. It basically fell apart during a very wet ride. I managed to get it back together but since then if would open apart at random times. I don't think the zipper was the best quality.

On the plus side I like how they breath.

The rain gear I have now (Tour Master) is more like wearing a plastic bag. You get warm and sweat under it but it does keep you dry (from the rain).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had the originals for about 3 years, and have had to use them sparingly. I like the way they fold into a small package, but I too have had a problem with the zipper.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've had 2 sets. Each worked very well for about a year and a half. They pack up small, they breath very well, and they kept 99% of the rain out. There was slight leaking at the zipper. After about a year and half they began to leak heavily rendering them useless as rain gear. In my experience riding naked and mostly naked bikes, the pulling of the wind weakens the fabric and it loses it's waterproof properties.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had my first set for about 10 years. Found that after a couple of years they were starting to leak. Had a fellow rider tell me that if I would wash them on delicate and then hang dry them they would become water proof again. With doubt, I tried it and it worked. Finally after several years I did treat them with a water-proofing spray. I only used my Frogg Toggs on my bike in the rain, didn't use them otherwise but I did ride with them in heavy rain a couple of times for several hours. I always found that I was damp at the end of those rides but never as wet as I would have been had I been wearing the plastic/rubber rain wear and sweating. I do use rain covers for my boots and my hands so the issue of my cuffs getting wet has never been an issue for me. As to water pooling in my crotch, I did notice that once I did have leak through there so after that I made sure I would reach down from time to time and give my Toggs a little shake in that area to help keep water from pooling.

I think my Frogg Toggs as the best rain gear for riding I have ever owned. Not necessarily the most water proof, but the best for keeping me relatively dry and not causing me to over heat in the Southern summers.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
just for clarifications, everyone is referring to road toadz- the thin original ones, right?

i wonder if anyone has any experience with the elite highway and horny toadz series? esp in terms of breathability with the supposely sturdier thicker material used.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I bought my Frogg Toggs two years ago and have them stored in the stuff sack that came with them. I have used the a few times, maybe three or four and they have performed perfectly. I have adopted a bead rider to prevent the ponding or pooling of water that others have mentioned. The bead rider works very well to allow any water collecting on the seat between your legs to drain away immediately. I also have a Tourmaster Flex riding suit that is water proof, but I have not really tested this suit, since, if I see impending rain, I will stop and put my Frogg Toggs on over my Tourmaster suit. It may seem like over kill, but I believe in my Frogg Toggs more than my Tourmaster. If I were caught in a shower, I suppose I would just ride through relying on my Tourmaster, but that hasn't happened yet. Good riding! :beatnik:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can anyone comment on the sizing? particularly the inseam length.
I need a 36" and their sizing chart is pretty vague, pretty wide range..
5'10"-6'5" /190lbs-230lbs XL
Kind of assume these would be long enough, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Greg

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't buy them as my primary rain gear though, and I really don't think they'd last long in that role. You might want to look at the slightly more spendy Icon PDX gear if that is what you're relying on.
i will eventually be buying something along the lines of the Icon PDX gear, but for now i was looking for something less expensive, as i am still trying to acquire a complete set of riding gear all over. i can only afford so much at a time. i am hoping by this spring to have the Icon PDX in hi-viz yellow, and then will move my frogg toggs to the travelling set i carry with me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kind of assume these would be long enough, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Greg
that is very vague. if you can go some where and try them on as i did. if that is not an option then all i can do is comment on how mine fit. i'm 5'10" and about 220, and the XL are the size i got. the L were way too small in the pants and jacket. The XL jacket i would say is a perfect fit for my body, but the pant are quite long on my 30" inseam. i would say that the XL would probably fit a 36" inseam but that's judging them off of my 30" one.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one more reply because i can

well this was the first use of the road toads this morning on my commute. and i will say that they have worked flawlessly for the first time. now it will be a longevity thing, and from the sounds of it most of you have been quite pleased with them!

:mod2_scooter::mod2_scooter::mod2_scooter:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm 5'-10", 200# and the large Elite Highway works fine. I had an XL Road Toad and it also works but it flaps more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greg
I bought the 'action set' (or something like that - not the motorcycle ones) from a sporting goods place (Gander Mountain). I'm 6'3, so I tried on the XL like the sizing chart showed. They fit fine and I'm sure they would have worked but my thinking was comfort and function so I went up one size to XXL and I'm glad I did. The pants are so long I can pull them up over a fanny pack to just under my boobs and still have room in the crotch. The legs go all the way down to the ankle of my boot when sitting on the bike and they don't climb up when mounting or doing anything else. The jacket is huge on me...it will go on over a thick leather jacket with ease.

Earlier this year it was very wet and I ride the bike rain or shine. It doesn't matter how long or how hard it rains...I'm as dry when I take them off as I was when I put them on.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I'm 5'-10", 200# and the large Elite Highway works fine. I had an XL Road Toad and it also works but it flaps more.
Gw,

did u notice any difference in breathability between elite h-way and road toad?

I assume the less flapping is due to stiffer material or different sizing issue?

AR

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have not noticed a breathability difference. I don't ride in rain gear much unless it is raining though. Less flapping is due to both issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We used toggs for years, and they were okay. Never completely waterproof (with age), but light weight and packable. Stayed dry enough. For the last several years we have gone to First Gear rain gear. I would never go back to Toggs now. What a difference. Inexpensive, easy on and off (right over the boots while standing up without all the hopping around trying to balance on the side of the road!), and does not ride up on my shorter boots.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Frogg Toggs

For the price they can't be beat. Breathable; and lightweight so easy to pack.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts