StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have stumbled over a damaged V-Strom that I am considering purchasing. A V-Strom will be my next bike when my ass, or most likely my girlfriend's ass, won't take my KTM 625 SMC.

Here is a little background on my riding. Most of my riding is sprinted and I enjoy taking my bike on long rides. I often go camping with my girlfriend on the back. I also commute to work on my bike. Right now I ride a 625 SMC. I love the bike to death, but doing 1000KM in a day can be quite exhausting. Unfortunately I live in Ontario where there are very few twisties. The SMC is still an exhilarating ride that I am not really ready to let go of.

Yesterday I stumbled over a 2008 V-Strom with 1200KM that has it's wiring harness burned out. It looks like the battery exploded under the seat damaging a lot of wiring. The insurance company wrote it off and it was purchased at an auction. The only thing truly broken on it is the fuel relay wiring and rear ABS wiring. If I jumper the fuel relay the bike starts. Also it's missing it's windshield and luggage cases. Otherwise the bike has minor scuffs on the clutch cover. It's not mint but a pressure wash would make it look pretty good. It definitely doesen't look like it was in an accident.

The bike is going for $2500CAD. It's a good price and I am very tempted to get it. I am quite good at fixing bikes and wiring is actually one of my best skills. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I cant keep my KTM. I am curious how does the V-Strom handle in comparison to the SMC?

Oh this is how it's seat looks like from the blast

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
IF you are prepared to do some work on the suspension as well - not bad.
Needs firmer springs and a fork brace minimum (2-300$ AU), emulators in the front make a huge difference but the rear shock needs to be rebuilt or replaced to work really well.

The only motard I've ridden against reasonable seriously was a Husqvarna, the DL was a lot quicker on the more open corners (80-120kph) (I was entering the corners faster and could start winding up on the throttle as soon as I could see the exit) but he walked away in the really tight stuff, I just couldn't flick the DL from side to side the way he could - since the Husky had at least as much power as the DL and weighs a lot less the DL did pretty well.

The one point I would make is that the DL can almost keep up with a motard even on quite tight roads but - it's a lot heavier and less forgiving - screw up your lines and it's more likely to result in a crash. I did however find out that it is possible to drift a DL into a corner (with both wheels sliding) without automatically crashing ;)

I have outridden litre sports bikes in conditions where handling rather than power was the decider - the wide bars and neutral handling make it quite a quick bike on the right roads.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
You will be assimilated.

I think the hook has stuck deep, Daught.

You are going to buy that Wee-Strom and enjoy it mightily.

Two of the busiest Ontario riders, namely Heavy and V-Tom, are likely
to dispute and refute your suggestion that Ontario lacks interesting roads.
You will find it a challenge to follow either of those fine gentlemen,
and they can readily show you dozens of thousands of kilometers of
very fine riding in Ontario. Find your way to Wilberforce for more info.

Me, you can pass at will. I live in Florida, but I adore riding in
Ontario, and I do it a lot, but seldom during "oyster season".
I am old and slow, but that merely means I find more roads to
be exciting than you do.

Good luck with your new mount. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Keith

PS Never eat oysters unless there is a letter R in the name of the month.
During May to August, female oysters (and there is no way to tell the sex)
are thin and flavourless, hence not worth their price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the hook has stuck deep, Daught.

You are going to buy that Wee-Strom and enjoy it mightily.

Two of the busiest Ontario riders, namely Heavy and V-Tom, are likely
to dispute and refute your suggestion that Ontario lacks interesting roads.
You will find it a challenge to follow either of those fine gentlemen,
and they can readily show you dozens of thousands of kilometers of
very fine riding in Ontario. Find your way to Wilberforce for more info.

Me, you can pass at will. I live in Florida, but I adore riding in
Ontario, and I do it a lot, but seldom during "oyster season".
I am old and slow, but that merely means I find more roads to
be exciting than you do.

Good luck with your new mount. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Keith

PS Never eat oysters unless there is a letter R in the name of the month.
During May to August, female oysters (and there is no way to tell the sex)
are thin and flavourless, hence not worth their price.
My view of Ontario is quite poor considering I just got back Mt. Rainier, Washington :) Ontario has some nice roads but they are far from Toronto. Motards are awesome but owning one around here is kind of a waste.

In regards to handling arent the V-Stroms closely related to the SVs? I know the SVs make quite awesome track bikes.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The v-storm is a cousin they do share the engine. Even that is tuned to run differently. I think you will find it comfortable and familiar given that your coming off of the ktm. It should handle the similar to your ktm but may feel a bit top heavy when compared to the ktm. I think you will pleasantly surprised as the wee should be much more comfortable then the ktm on the long haul and much better at freeway type speeds. You will also find anything that you can think of bolting on the wee here in these forums.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just buy a wiring harness off Ebay. If I couldn't find an ABS harness I would just buy a standard one that fits your year and wire the ABS in, just me. I wouldn't try to make a harness from scratch. I think there is one for a 2007 on Ebay now for like $40 but probably not ABS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I could just grab one off ebay. Parts availability is quite good.

I started it again today and for some reason it was making an air popping noise. Similar to a leaking spark plug, but I doubt it was that since it stopped making that sound after it warmed up a bit. It only happened at idle and it dint't match the rpm.

I saw this on wikipedia "Emissions The DL650 uses Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel-injection and exhausts via a two-into-one exhaust system with a catalytic converter in the muffler. European models meet Euro 3 emissions specifications. In the US, a "PAIR" air injection system reduces CO and HC emissions." Could that have been the air injector? Do Canadian models even have that?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I did however find out that it is possible to drift a DL into a corner (with both wheels sliding) without automatically crashing ;)
Interesting. I drift into corners alot (onroad), but only with the rear wheel that I know of.
I have outridden litre sports bikes in conditions where handling rather than power was the decider - the wide bars and neutral handling make it quite a quick bike on the right roads.
Pete
"right roads", meaning less than ideal - read bumpy. I've outridden sportbikes on those roads too - with stock suspension. The slightly longer travel is huge advantage.

Good sportbike riders on good road surfaces should hand you your ass on corner speeds of 30 mph and up.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Mr. Ozart, I believe that you may be rambling in the wrong thread, again...

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
You mention that your girlfriends ass might be one of the reasons for the purchase of this bike. In order to give you the very best advice i require all of the information... I know what a strom looks like- could you please post a pic of your girlfriends ass so we have all of the information required...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts