StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After mistakenly letting My drivers license expire I need to take the Skill test. I have been practicing in a parking lot for the last couple of days and I am very worried that putting the bike in the Friction Zone will hurt the clutch. I have been searching this site but have only found a response that was back in 2007. I have been told the only way to pass this test is to use the three methods of control. Clutch,gas, and rear brake at slow speed. Is riding the bike at slow speeds in the friction Zone harmful to the Clutch? 2011 650
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
If you are concerned about it you could always take the MSF Beginning Rider's Class. Successful completion precludes having to take the written and riding test. It's also an excellent refresher course.

But, no, it won't hurt your clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
MSF Beginning Rider's Class. Successful completion precludes having to take the written and riding test.
Depends on the state. In Texas, completing the BRC exempts you from the riding test but not the written one.

And yeah, don't worry about the clutch -- that's what it's for.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Depends on the state. In Texas, completing the BRC exempts you from the riding test but not the written one.

And yeah, don't worry about the clutch -- that's what it's for.
In Nebraska it exempts one from both. I looked it up before I posted.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stop worrying!! You will not hurt a wet clutch like this.

Lets review:
1) Clutch plates are damaged when they OVERHEAT.
2) Wet clutch is bathed in engine-oil
3) Oil carries the heat away from the clutch very quickly.
4) Slipping clutch in this manor cannot generate heat faster than oil will remove the heat.

Hence - clutch is not damaged by slow-speed slipping.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
4) Slipping clutch in this manor cannot generate heat faster than oil will remove the heat.

Hence - clutch is not damaged by slow-speed slipping.
Obviously sir you have never properly abused a wet clutch in a motorcycle. They do and will fail even being bathed in oil. In his case I am sure he is fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't worry about the little bit of "friction zone" that you will be using during the test.
I demo the MSF exercises often on mine, not to mention getting stuck in the construction zone traffic on 75 the past few months.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Obviously sir you have never properly abused a wet clutch in a motorcycle. They do and will fail even being bathed in oil. In his case I am sure he is fine.
You must have missed when I said "in this manor" - referring to slow-speed running.

Obviously, if one beats the hell out of it. (generating heat in the clutch-basket faster than the oil-bath can remove it)... overheating -hence damage- can happen.

I have had bikes which I could slip the clutch WITH THE LEVER RELEASED at full throttle acceleration. Obviously, the heat generated under these conditions is tremendous.

My original comment still stands - as long as you do not generate heat faster than it can be removed, then there is no damage done.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I saw it.....was just ribbin ya.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stroms have wet clutches so you should be fine unless you're secretly a Ducati or BMW rider who just hangs out in strom forums.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
In Nebraska it exempts one from both. I looked it up before I posted.
Fair enough and kudos for making the effort. I was just clarifying for the general readership.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I've ridden my DL along tight single tracks for hours slipping the clutch most of the way in first and second.
I did replace the plates & springs at ~110,000k's - all that really needed replacing was the springs - the plates were still within spec.

You'd have to work really hard to damage the plates on a DL.

Pete

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Oscar231 - Congrats on getting your new Wee. Good luck with the test. I'm the orange wee wondering around Sarpy county...

@kwkride - Where all do you teach MSF at? My wife wants to take a course in the Spring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your response. I have been reading and practicing on my own for now. Maybe later on I will take the training course. I just shelled out 550 for license tags, bought a fork brace and mirror extenders, madstad and wind screen. and I need a new helmet.
Maybe next summer I will take the course 250.00 to 300.00 is a little steep right now.( I know sounds like my priorities are out of whack). This is not my first bike however.
Glad to know I'm not destroying the clutch - These bikes weren't built to ride in some damn parade. I bought my black VStrom at Dillon Brothers June 30th and love it. I have 750 miles on it and I have not seen another one around anywhere. So sure I would be up for going for a ride sometime.
Im getting pretty good at the cone test, riding the clutch and looking straight ahead made all the difference in the World.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
don't be afraid of it

I was dirt bike rider my whole life and never heard of 'the friction point' until I took the training course to get my road bike license here in Australia. I now use the technique often in traffic or parking lots etc. Its an advanced skill that you should pratice and use often.

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
you should be fine unless you're secretly a Ducati or BMW rider who just hangs out in strom forums.

Hey, I resemble that remark... My 800 has a wet clutch, neener-neener! :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe next summer I will take the course 250.00 to 300.00 is a little steep right now.
Just so you know, it's $209 at the Safety Council this year.
NSC, GOC, Nebraska DMV Approved Motorcycle Safety Training

I expect it to go up some next year since LB170 passed
This was the bill to eliminate the Motorcycle Safety and Education Fund and let the Unicameral take the money we had built up and use it for other things.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
After mistakenly letting My drivers license expire I need to take the Skill test. I have been practicing in a parking lot for the last couple of days and I am very worried that putting the bike in the Friction Zone will hurt the clutch. I have been searching this site but have only found a response that was back in 2007. I have been told the only way to pass this test is to use the three methods of control. Clutch,gas, and rear brake at slow speed. Is riding the bike at slow speeds in the friction Zone harmful to the Clutch? 2011 650
Thanks
Maybe you can borrow or rent a much smaller bike to take the test. I rode a 250 at the saftey course which counted as my riding part of my drivers test.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts