StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to sunny Central California in a couple of months and I want to make sure there are troopers riding around. I didn't find any Fresno area "official" thread so I'm starting this one.

I'm eager to ride the Sierra Nevada and have some good adventures there.

If you live in the area or are riding through central Cali and you feel like posting your travel plans, riding along with other troopers or just sharing your experiences, this is the place to do it :thumbup:

Hope to get to know all of you soon.

- Off

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
I've ridden a bit of the Sierras . You'll be busy getting to all the good spots. There a lotta fun to be had there.
I'm further south in the LA Pit but I get through the Central Valley occasionally.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
I've done the 49 from Coarsegold to the end on hwy89 up north.
It's a great road. Varies from 2 lanes through little gold mining towns to 4 lanes. The section above I 80 is lots of trees and forest. Downieville has a couple good eateries.
Actually there is no lack of interesting stuff and places to eat.
Hit up the Auto Club for maps and have fun.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got installed in my new home in Clovis, just 5 miles west of the Sierra.
So, who's around?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got installed in my new home in Clovis, just 5 miles west of the Sierra.
So, who's around?
Yo, Dude, you're posting in California but you got a picture from Chalk Creek, Ut. as your avatar. What gives.
Glad you made it safely to your new digs. Take care of the wife and kid. Buena Suerte, mi amigo

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo, Dude, you're posting in California but you got a picture from Chalk Creek, Ut. as your avatar. What gives.
Glad you made it safely to your new digs. Take care of the wife and kid. Buena Suerte, mi amigo
Haha, thanks man! Good luck to you too :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hot springs

from Clovis head up to the Mono Hot Springs area, over the Kaiser Pass beyond Hwy 168. Public and private camping, riverside hot springs (and up the west hillside). Or go up to Blayney Hot Springs in Fall (when you can safely walk across the river). Nice roads east of you.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you made it to your destination, have fun!!!!!

Look out CA !!! :thumbup:
:thumbup:

from Clovis head up to the Mono Hot Springs area, over the Kaiser Pass beyond Hwy 168. Public and private camping, riverside hot springs (and up the west hillside). Or go up to Blayney Hot Springs in Fall (when you can safely walk across the river). Nice roads east of you.
Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ride to Delilah Fire Lookout

Last weekend I took the Vee to one of the highest points in the Central Sierras, the Delilah Fire Lookout in Sequoia National Forest. To get there you need to follow about eight miles of dirt trails North of CA180 through Pine Ridge. The views are well worth the trip. From the top of the tower, you can see miles and miles around you, up to Yosemite up north and the Giant Sequoia forests east and south.

About half a mile before getting to the tower, I went down on a patch of sand and bent my brake pedal to the point where I could not even put my foot on my right peg. Riding back --without rear brake and without foot peg, downhill over eight miles of dirt roads-- was too risky so I kept going up till I got to the tower. There I found a large piece of steel tube that I used to easily bend the pedal back to a point where it was usable again.

Back on CA180, I rode about 35 miles of nice twisty roads to my house in Clovis. It was a nice ride all in all.

Oh, by the way, on my way up I met Kinzea at the gas station. A nice guy riding a black Glee. We exchanged phone numbers and I'm definitely turning him to the dark side of StromTrooper.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the troop, IronBasher!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
cedar grove ride

due to a change in plans I found myself riding solo to cedar grove in kings canyon national park. For those who dont know it is in the central sierra about 2.0 hours from fresno and is a terrific ride with many subtle surprises. From the high point on the ridge you are in conifer forests, then travel down through yucca and high desert terrain then back into the forest along the river till finally you are under big walls rivaling some of the mid size ones in yosemite. definatly not a place for the vertigo ruled or the target fixated, the great void is your constant companion on the way out and in, hope you like the pics from my i phone.ironbasher

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow IronBasher, those are great pics! I'll post my LA report later.

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, Off one more time, demented minds really do think alike. This one is located in N. Ariz. close to the Ut. border. Bruce, Bruce's son Dakota and I stopped by it on our way back from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We traveled about 1500 miles. We went to Capital Reef and rode the Burr Trail down to lake Powell and back. Then we travelled Hiway 12:thumbup: down to Kodachrome Basin. From there to the Grand Canyon and back to Salt Lake by way of Cedar Breaks. Got back on 7/30/13. Great trip:hurray:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I left home (Fresno) at 3am to ride down to the Ventura Naval Base for the Extreme Frontiers USA finale gathering... got there at 7:30. We all rode the Pacific Coast Highway till Venice Beach in Santa Monica (north LA area).

After the group ride, I rode back up to Ventura where I found a KTM rider stranded by the freeway, he had ran out of gas... good thing I was carrying my emergency tank with a bit over a gallon of fuel so I did my good deed of the day ;D

Then I took the long way home through CA33 and the Lockwood Valley at the Los Padres National forest. That was the most fun I have ever had on the bike.... 70 miles of great scenic view and hundreds of curves... pure twisty awesomeness. From there up via CA99 (boring straight freeway).

I arrived home at 8pm - all tired, sore and with my arse feeling 650 miles older.

- Ofir

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sunday 10 aug ride

Any body up for a ride from miramonte to badger up Whittaker forest road( only dirt road entrance to sequoia park,past big trees, and close to redwood mountain complex of 22 miles plus cave system) to 198 down to three rivers , and up to the incomparable mineral king valley back down to three rivers and back up dry creek to badger and badger mountain house( bike heaven In tiyhe middle of nowherek

1 - 20 of 107 Posts