StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a FIAMM Freeway Blaster horn Saturday and put it on this morning. It was an impulse buy, I saw it at the counter of the parts store, it was about $15 so I thought "what the hell, let's give it a try".

This was a SUPER easy install, maybe ten minutes including getting the tools etc.; fits right under the beak. I don't know how it compares to other horns, but it is significantly louder than the almost worthless stock horn. I should have done this a long time ago.

·
Registered
508 Posts
any horn is an improvement over the stock one (i personally put on the denali sound Bomb ) i think that and AUX Lights are one of the most important things i installed on the bike. i can't count the times drivers start getting into my lane and then i use it and the jerk back 2 lanes just because it scares them! they probably think its a truck :grin2::weapons_80:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I installed the same Fiamm ($10 on Amazon) horn on my V2 without a relay and it works fine. Just took the old one off and put the new one on. Easy smeazy.
I haven't seen any problems in not using a relay. Of course, I only use it on occasion and only in short bursts. It's way louder than stock!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did u guys go high note or low note

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Not sure about a relay. I run a relay with mine. I mounted both hi and lo note. They are loud.
One thing you need to watch. If you mount them too solidly, they will not be as loud. If there is a slight amount of room to allow them to vibrate, they are louder still.

Rod

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure about a relay. I run a relay with mine. I mounted both hi and lo note. They are loud.
One thing you need to watch. If you mount them too solidly, they will not be as loud. If there is a slight amount of room to allow them to vibrate, they are louder still.

Rod
Where did you mount both?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Where did you mount both?
I should have been a bit clearer. I mounted both on my ST1300 and still have a pair that I am going to mount on my Wee. There is a front fairing mount stay. I thought I would mount them there. They really are not hard to mount. Anywhere that you can hang then will work. I made it so the trumpets pointed down to allow any water to drain out.

Here is a link to mounting a Stebel on the same fairing stay.

Denali Horn Mount to fit Stebel Air Horn or Denali SoundBomb Compact Dual-Tone Air Horn for the DL650 V-Strom '04-'16 & DL1000 V-Strom '02-'12 - TwistedThrottle.ca

Rod

·
Registered
265 Posts
Best horn I ever had was one out of a 1994 Buick Roadmaster. Super loud with a ballsy tone. Yeh its kind of big but I think it would fit under that beak. Finally make that beak use full.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
You guys got my horn swapping juices flowing again...

I had to order and install a pair of the FIAMM 74100 El Grande horns (based on the same unit as the Freeway Blaster, but allegedly they are a little smaller and a little less expensive). They mounted just fine on the stock horn location with the hardware included, although I would prefer that they face a little more forward or at least straight down. Flipping them 180 degrees would put them at risk for collecting water. But all in all they tuck up under the beak quite nicely. I left out the red plastic shells.

Perhaps I'll revisit the mount bracket situation to rectify their angle. In the meantime they sound great!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I installed the Denali Sound Bomb, the two piece today. The head unit fits nicely under the beak and put the compressor down in the space above the engine. If heat starts to be an issue there I'll find another home for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I mounted the Denali Sound Bomb single unit on the side of the front cylinder. I also used a relay because I didn't want to burn out anything in the wiring harness. I mounted the relay next to the old horn (I left it in place) and used the existing wires to connect to the coil of the relay. Then I wired the +12V from the battery to the relay to the horn. Already had the two wire jacketed cable so it wasn't to much of an issue. I also put a fuse in line 'cause that's what was recommended.

Once installed I measure the sound level at 120dBA at one meter. It definitely has some pucker power there!

Cheers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just purchased the FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster. It will not fit on the original mount on my '07 Wee because the mounting bolt is too short and trying to get it crammed into the existing horn compartment is not easy. I think I need to use the included mounting extension that came with the horn. right now the horn is pressed against the engine so I will keep trying to get it positioned. I went with the freeway blaster 72112 based on product reviews on Amazon where many riders commented that it was the way to go if you only want to purchase one horn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts