StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MCN rated this seat as a "recomend". They scolded two others.
Just wondering if any one has tried it.
At $178 I want to be sure before pulling the trigger

Thanks
David

·
Registered
818 Posts
That seems like a lotta cash to me! I bought a Wal-Mart gel seat intended for ball games for like 8 bucks. It is shaped perfectly, like a fat pear. I fashioned some cinch straps and it is super comfy. In fact, it is the only farkle not going w/ my Wee in the sale. I am afraid I won`t find another one like it as Wal-Mart is always changing their stock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Freedom Air® Motorcycle Seat Cushion - A clear winner over the AirHawk, ride longer and travel further. motorcycle seat cushion, motorcycle cushion, freedom air, air hawk, cruiser seat cushion, sport bike seat cushion, longeride, motorcycle seating,

I looked at it.... a cruiser model and one specifically for a sport bike. Which would you use on a Strom? Cruiser type seems more seat formfitting.

The sport model is also different in that a 1" wide strip down the center is open.... has no foam cells in order to leave the bodies perineum free of weight bearing.

I had to employ Wikipedia ...... oh-my-gosh.... that's considered an erogenous zone. No wonder I don't want it rubbing on a long ride.

(Caution: possible offensive topic/illustrations.)

Perineum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am thinking about trying one. The price is high but I am about to start another Orlando/Portland/Orlando ride. I did it last year and with all the side trips it was 8,500 miles. So I need the best comfort I can get. I have a Sargent seat and an AirHawk now. They work well but I definitely have the" perineum" discomfort issue. To the point that after a long day's riding it hurts to pee. :var_38:
The AirHawk makes my butt feel better but pushes up in the middle and makes it more uncomfortable there. So I alternate every 3 or 4 hours, riding with the hawk in place and then without it for awhile.
I just opened up the Sargent and cut a wedge out of the foam in that area. So that may help.
Are any of you having that issue?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just opened up the Sargent and cut a wedge out of the foam in that area. So that may help.
Wow, really?

Hey, back to the product...the SPORT BIKE model has the perineum "relief" cut-out, ... not the cruiser model.

I don't think the sprot one conforms to the DL seat shape as well. (Could be wrong).

Another think... does this thing actually have a shrader valve on the side to inflate it? Looks so, and wouldn't that jab you in the leg?

So, those using a AirHawk, or similarly inflated "whoopie cushion" can suffer perinium wear-and-tear? ( because the air pockets are not indevidually inflated and so it pushes up in the middle? That sucks, by design.

I've never had injury to my perinium from a stock seat... just general soreness.

Maybe I want a John Deere seat.:green_lol:
Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, really?
Yes, a little off topic but this was actually a great mod. I just pulled out the staples in the front half of the seat and folded back the cover. I cut out an Almond shaped wedge about 2.5" wide and 4" long, and then replaced the cover. The cover pulls tight over the hole so it is almost invisible, It is much more comfortable, especially riding two up, but I haven't had it on any really long rides yet with the AirHawk so I don't know how much it will help with that. Got to help some I think.

.the SPORT BIKE model has the perineum "relief" cut-out, ... not the cruiser model.
Well if you look at the photos on their site, the "V" does not come that far back but the nobs in the center are much lower than the ones on the side. I would think this would reduce if not eliminate the "Push up in the center" problem with the AirHawk.
Has anyone tried the Freedom pad on a V-Strom? If so, what size? I am thinking XL cruiser as the Sargent seat is almost 16" wide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ordered on

I ordered the sport touring one to try on my stock seat. I'll post my impressions after a few hundred miles.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Who Needs a Gel Seat ?

That seems like a lotta cash to me! I bought a Wal-Mart gel seat intended for ball games for like 8 bucks. It is shaped perfectly, like a fat pear. I fashioned some cinch straps and it is super comfy. In fact, it is the only farkle not going w/ my Wee in the sale. I am afraid I won`t find another one like it as Wal-Mart is always changing their stock.
They just came in stock at my local Wal-Mart and after trying one on my Wee, I was so impressed I bought a second one ! Costs about $20/ea. I fasten it down with a flat-strap bungy and link the ends together under the seat.

Mine looks like the one on the right in the picture at the bottom of this thread from the GL1800 website.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ordered the sport touring one to try on my stock seat. I'll post my impressions after a few hundred miles.
Did you get your seat cushion yet? Any feedback? Worth the money?

I need a different than stock seat, due to my coccyx hurting when I sit relaxed for longer than 1 hr... when I try to tilt my pelvis to raise my coccyx of the seat... my front 'coccyx' and the twins go numb and tingly after a 1hr+ ride. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOVE IT

After a little over 1200 miles I love the cushion. I had a mixed first impression, It just seemed a little odd initially and I also wondered if I should have ordered the cruiser model. However after nine hours in the saddle on memorial day with no real discomfort I am sold. I would like to see a cruiser model fitted on the strom seat but I'm comfortable on an all day ride now which is all i can ask. I'll take a couple pics and post them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And just because.....
I have one and used it on a recent trip of nearly 2000 miles and.... well... I want my $178 back. It just didn't help me at all. I don't think it's a bad product, and to be clear, I've found that for me, the most comfortable option is the Sargent Seat on it's own. Every time I add anything to it I'm disappointed. But, I really didn't find that the Freedom Air seat was money well spent. Again, that's my butt's opinion. Others may vary. My dad used it on his Gold Wing and liked it. But he's also on board with the cheap walmart gel pad option - he loves his.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I have a Sargent seat and an AirHawk now. They work well but I definitely have the" perineum" discomfort issue. To the point that after a long day's riding it hurts to pee. :var_38:
The AirHawk makes my butt feel better but pushes up in the middle and makes it more uncomfortable there. So I alternate every 3 or 4 hours, riding with the hawk in place and then without it for awhile.
Are any of you having that issue?
On all my mountain bikes and one road bike, the seats all have that perineum cutout - it's a pretty standard design for the bicycling world - and it works very well. I actually had my junk fall asleep on one really long fireroad climb in Utah, and it was a bit disturbing til all systems returned to normal. I never had an issue with the stock Wee seat, since it is so soft, your sit bones really get sore long before anything else does.

I have a Rick Mayer seat now, and I'm struggling with the noticeable crown in the center of the seat which puts pressure on that area [and the boyz!] when I ride with proper posture [hips rotated slightly forward, back arched in an S-curve]. I'm not only putting pressure on my fruitbasket, but the undercarriage is getting some pressure - Not too happy bout that. I've been told "oh, the seat has to break in", but I'm thinking my junk is going to break first, before the saddle does! I'm considering finding a stock Wee/Vee seat to throw on the Strom and send my seat back to Rick and see if he can cut out a channel, to give my undercarriage a bit of room. I've also been looking at the Saddle Concepts prototype, on this BB, since they appear to have forgone the "butt bucket" style of a Rick Mayer, or a Russel Day-Long style seat, in favor of a flatter surface. I think I'd like this better than having my parts smashed into a bucket all day.

Since perineum channels are so common in bicycling seats, I've realized that it's really uncharted territory in the motorcycle world. Seems that it's really an area that more aftermarket seat customizers should consider. I'm definitely going to pursue it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts