StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C.T. scan on Friday shows my cancer has not returned and hopefully will not return.
The saga began seven years ago when I became unusually tired, so much so I couldn't work. I also lost 9 kilos of body weight between Christmas and Easter and my @34%*!en dopey G.P. didn't even think I should have a simple scan.
Big doses of radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks put me in hospital. It made me so sick I thought the radiation would put me in a box before the cancer. Six weeks for my body to recover before the operation.
My abdomen was opened up from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock and up to the sturnem.
Exit 3.7 kilos of cancer (sarcoma), one kidney, one spleen, some bowel and most nerves were cut as the tumour was attached to my back.
PROGNOSIS: 0-10% chance of surviving 5 years.
Well 5 years was up last week and the scan is clear. I feel a huge burden hanging over me has lifted. It's been a hellish 5 years and although I have lost two friends each in their fifth year I think I have now survived.
The weight is gone, at last .....I'M FREE!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Congratulations mate, that's a great achievement.

Body rust is a terrible and insidious thing and it looks like you've had a win here.

Good luck with all in the future.

Pete.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What a nightmare you've been through! Most people don't survive all that.

Sure glad to hear the good news!

Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great to hear that you licked the big C... :thumbup:

There is no better news than that.

If you want to read a pretty good and funny book about one man's cancer fight - he was a great comedian - check out "Cancer on $5 a day" (chemo not included) by Robert Schimmel. He knew how to bring the best out of any situation. May he rest in peace! (Bob died last year from injuries sustained in a car crash - he was cancer free for many years after he survived NHL 4).

Congrats to you and you are a fighter and a survivor!!! :hurray:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great news!!!

I prescribe a 2 week long adventure on your bike. Up to Byron Bay, hike Mount Warning (Something us yanks don't do very often, or so I was told repeatedly while I was hiking it) then ride down to Melbourne and just enjoy every minute of it. You sure earned a trip like that!

Or come to America and do a ride around Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National park.

·
Registered
56 Posts
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :hurray:

I just had my cat scan and blood work for my 5 year visit last week, I go in to get the findings in about 2 weeks.
I keep saying if it comes back and they talk Kemo again I am gonna say no thanks..........but..........would I really be able to say that???????????????

I hope I do not have to decide

I am not sure I could go though that all again

anyway great news for you. I am happy for you

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Great news!!!

I prescribe a 2 week long adventure on your bike. Up to Byron Bay, hike Mount Warning (Something us yanks don't do very often, or so I was told repeatedly while I was hiking it) then ride down to Melbourne and just enjoy every minute of it. You sure earned a trip like that!

Or come to America and do a ride around Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National park.

Seconded!!
:thumbup:

...and...CONGRATS!!:yesnod:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great news, it is amazing how most of us take our health for granted.

I'm looking forward to your celebratory ride report.. :yesnod:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi mate, This is terrific news :thumbup:Now start planning a well deserved LONG RIDE! ,ride safe .......Paul

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That is great now go on living .
I 've survied for 7 years when they gave me 4-6 weeks
YOU can beat the big C

as was told to me
CANCER is a word not a sentance

I have meet so many people who have survied it is amazing !!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
WOW...you have no idea how good that sounds to me. All the survivor stories. My best friend since school days received the news his wife has invasive breast cancer.

Even though its not me or my loved one we have been friends with them for years. Her news devastated me more than I thought it would. She has begun her fight and is on the long road to recovery. Removal, reconstruction, chemo, the works.

I am not the most religous animal walking this earth. But, I pray both of you succede in your battles.

The ride sounds like good advice. At 49, I have quit putting off the things I really want to do. No matter the cost.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It is so nice to hear some good health news for someone, even if I don't know you. Cancer has done so much damage to so many people I know, that any positive news gives me hope for some of those I know currently fighting this horrible disease.

Thanks for posting, I know that your recovery had more than a little to do with who you are and your willingness to face the cancer head-on and to fight it with a positive attitude.

May health and happiness grace your life for many decades to come.

Norm

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I agree! Bloody great news, Brian. Time for another coffee at Zokoko to celebrate (and I promise I won't drop my bike this time! :D )

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Brian,

That is great news [as I have PM'd you the other day].

I would like to catch up with you for coffee along with Ron if I can.

[you are aware of our situation here so I'm sure you understand if I can't fit with the time you and Ron may arrange].

Thanks for the inspiration.

It may be a while before I can get in a decent road trip [hopefully day rides will be possible, I snuck out today for a spin actually].

Steve & Belinda

1 - 20 of 26 Posts