StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Vstrom owners in or near Longview, WA interested in taking my ST or my TW for a spin and getting a free lunch for letting me try their DL? I'm getting the itch to try/possibly buy one and hope to be able to get a feel first. I'm leaning towards the 650, but really am interested in both/either at this point. It is supposed to be great weather this Saturday according to weather.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, they must have some interesting commerce laws up north there in Canada. Down here in Washington we get a sales tax break when trading in a like item. I wonder how the wife/bike thing would work. There are certainly a great many similarities.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bet you can spend more hours on the bike than you can the wife.
...With less complaint and way more economically, too.

Besides, you can shut the bike off and walk away, and when you do, it gets silent......

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Any Vstrom owners in or near Longview, WA interested in taking my ST or my TW for a spin and getting a free lunch for letting me try their DL? I'm getting the itch to try/possibly buy one and hope to be able to get a feel first. I'm leaning towards the 650, but really am interested in both/either at this point. It is supposed to be great weather this Saturday according to weather.com.
How close are you to Vancouver, Canada?
Come up here, and I'll take you up on your offer; lunch is on me as long as you send me your food preference ahead of time. I love to cook, and I'm decent at it.
I won't want to ride your st or tw, but I will if I have to (ie: the battery in my k100 is dead again).

·
Registered
392 Posts
test ride

I see this over and over on this forum. Go to your dealer and test ride one. Might have to travel a bit to find a dealer with one, but it's the exceptional dealer that won't allow test rides.

Bill H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local dealer says no demo without all the purchase paperwork in place including credit app pulled. I pay cash and don't have debt (it is very liberating to not be in bondage) and at this point I am more curious than serious. There is a local agency that rents them, but it is over $150/day with a two day minimum.

·
Registered
392 Posts
dealer

Go find a real dealer who actually wants to sell motorcycles.

We had a Honda dealer like yours in town, used to be in business, no big surprise they arn't anymore.

What would your reaction be to no test drives at a car dealer? Should be exactly the same for a bike dealer, walk away. They'll eventually get what they deserve.

Bill H.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bet you can spend more hours on the bike than you can the wife.
...With less complaint and way more economically, too.

Besides, you can shut the bike off and walk away, and when you do, it gets silent......
And they never get a headache.....

I wonder what insurance companies say about others using your bikes. And what are you going to do if the test rider crashes the bike? And your inurance rates skyrocket?

It's not as simple as it appears to be....

Up here, my insurance company will cover any bike I ride. That's important because every dealer I talked to, demo ride damages are MY responsibility.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In '07 I was seriously considering buying a Honda 919 and asked my local dealer for a test ride. He said no saying his insurance wouldn't let him and he didn't want the miles on the bikes. I told him I wasn't buying a bike I couldn't test ride first, and walked away. In October '10 I was back in that dealership (great parts dept, crappy sales/owner) and that very same '07 919 was still on the floor. I once again asked for a test ride and he refused. He was out of business before New Years. Fortunately, the parts guys and service guys moved into another motorcycle store just down the street and left that owner high and dry :thumbup:

Which ST do you have? I've still got my 1100 and bought the Wee as a compliment to it, not a replacement.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
In the Los Angeles area the only dealers allowing a demo fleet is Ducati, Hardley and BMW. Maybe Triumph. All the Japanese mc dealers have a no testy policy.

Oh, if you ST is the 800ST, you'll miss the fuel mileage it gets vs the Wee. I did a local mountain run with a group from the local dealer and got 65mpg. I don't think many Wee owners, even the dual plugged bikes, get that.
Butt, the Wee is becoming more preferred for it's seating and visceral appeal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ST 1100

Not allowing a test ride is really odd in my book, when I was in the car business there were many fence sitters/lookers that we converted to buyers/owners due to the positive vibe from a successful demo ride, we called it "getting them in the ether" and it is the real deal. An endorsed rider with insurance coverage or a signed waiver should be all that is needed. Especially if they have a photocopy of your license and/or the keys to your bike.

·
Registered
522 Posts
When I worked in the motorcycle dealerships it was part of the sale. I didn't need to all the time, but if the potential buyer had the purchasing power and the proper endorsement, I was all for it. It helped me seal a lot of deals and I can only remember a couple of times when the customer was disappointed. Then we just worked on the next bike.

I can remember taking customers on test rides because they didn't have the proper endorsement. Again, it sealed the deal and made them happy. I was generally the "what ever itr takes" kinda guy when it came to sales. I never lied or mislead anyone about their purchase. I even refused to sell a couple of bikes on the floor because I knew they had extensive repairs. I didn't want to sell a problem child to one of my customers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
800st

Yeah but the Beemer 800st uses premium gas, so has to get much more mileage to equal the same $ per mile as the Wee.

Bill H.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Ed, for the ride on the Wee. A perfect day for a ride along the Columbia.

What a great bike. It could definitely do everything I need it to do.

Anybody with a Vee hungry? I might as well know how they compare.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Glad to help a prospective V-Stromer out. The lunch was too filling (next time I'll pay attention to the size of the burger). I also appreciate the chance to ride in that stretch of Washington where I haven't been before, from the ferry down to the Longview Bridge. What a great day.

Take care and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
Yeah but the Beemer 800st uses premium gas, so has to get much more mileage to equal the same $ per mile as the Wee.

Bill H.
Premium....NOT!
I've been burning regular ol' regular for 3 years and 48K miles. I ain't pissing money down the imaginary more power thing. Book says I'll get reduced power and economy with regular but I have yet to feel any lack of power and my mileage is still good.
I took the Wee to Arizona for a beemer rally and got low 40's because of the winds and trying to maintain the speed limit. I got 54 mpg going from Phoenix to Heber up on the Mogollon Rim. I went just under the posted speed there.

The next week I took the 800ST to another BMW rally in Calif and got mileage in the 50's consistently going north on 99. Riding up in the back country of the Sierras to the Yosemite and Hetch-Hetchy is low posted speed country and I got 65 miles a gallon in that segment. 60mpg on the way home with a tail wind.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wanted to try a used bike for my wife and the BMW dealer told me ha had no problem with me trying it out. I would have to sign to cover the first $2,500 regardless of who was at fault.

I declined. There is an inherit high risk in trying any new bike in the middle of downtown traffic core. If it was suburban side streets, no problem but not the downtown zoo. The there is the issue of no protection for the bike. If it goes down, even at zero speed, it's going to sustain damage and at 100 bucks an hour, it wont take much to watch $2,500 vaporize. And all this is for a $4,000 bike.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
While getting my BMW serviced at the dealers, they let me take a Wee trade-in for a loaner. I suppose I signed a waver but I trust my riding so no big deal. Butt, I did get Wee fever and now own one.:jawdrop:
After a 120+ mile goof off ride I was intrigued, dazzled, HOOKED. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts