StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a free lunch, but not a bad surprise at all. I logged onto Garmin to update the operating software on a Streetpilot 2720 and got a message that I was entitled to a free update to the 2011 maps. Then, just to see whether the same thing might apply, I plugged in the Garmin i5 I have that has been collecting dust. It, too, received a free update to the 2011 map.

I don't know what I did to deserve the freebie, but I am appreciative. The free updates apparently expire October 24th, so sign in for a software update and see what comes up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Damn and here I thought I was special, I got a onetime update on a 2720 I bought off ebay, I thought it was because it had never been registered.
Iride, I think you're SOL, the 2610 doesn't use the NT format maps, there hasn't been an update available since the 2009 series.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
In Australia Garmin are currently giving away free map upgrades for life with their Nuvi and Zumo products. It's a promotion at this stage.
I suspect that this is another case of the iPhone influencing commerce. If people are effectively getting free maps on the iPhones or Android phones (albeit with data download charges) why would they be wanting to pay the nearly Aus$100.00 per year that Garmin and TomTom have been gouging?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Unless I did something wrong on the Garmin website, my Zumo 450 does not appear to qualify...oh well. Was worth a shot. I think I would rather buy a new gps, rather than new software.

Jim

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how did you gt the free updates? I was in My Garmin and there is a Map updated but it it has a cost.

There was a software update for the NUVI 500 and other Garmins. Not sure what it does.
I did nothing more than to log into the account I set up with Garmin a couple of years ago when I registered the 2720 originally. I'd received an email that there was a software update available. When I logged in the opening page said a 2011 map update was available for free until October 24th. It took about an hour to download and install the maps on each GPS.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Must be specific to old GPS units. :yikes:

O well mine was updated last spring when i bought it but it is till 18 months behind. You thik they wold have something important like when an airport is moved.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
TomTom has its own program online called "HOME" which is used for all updates, purchasing new maps, etc. What do Garmin owners use?...just curious.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts