StromTrooper banner

FrankenStrom in progress...

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  aTuWitty 
#1 ·
I chopped a bike for a guy that rode a VStrom and he was in a accident the week I finished his chop. He bought the Strom back from the insurance company and gave it to me. I decided to use it to make something different. It doesn't quite have the ground clearance of the original but I think it'll be cool "bar hopper". Here's the link to the build:

Dirty Hands Choppers :: FrankenStrom

Love it, hate it.... what do youz think?

On another nete: I'm planning to buy 3 DL650s next year to do a cross country ride with my 2 sons. Any input on a place to get a good package deal would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
This was my old Strom and the dump trunk that did the illegal U Turn in front of me ruined it. Wasn't much to salvage other than the drivetrain.

#6 ·
You are missing a golden oppertunity to clean up the radiator. It could very easily be mounted to the the bottom of the lower frame tubes (coming from the steering head) and a electric fan would keep it all nice and cool. I'd also take the time to clean up the wires/tubes in the engine bay and make it look a lot neater and tidier.

Choppers aren't my thing, but it looks you posses the skills to make this happen.

#10 ·
Two things come to mind.

1. Driving/riding from a bar after drinking is a bad idea.
2. Choppers are sculpture and not good riding tools anyway.

#11 ·
I like it! Shows incredible skill, precision and patients. I've fabricated a few items in my time and the pleasure comes from the creation and standing back and admiring your handy work. Update us when you get it the way you want and have fun doing it. Nice work!

#13 ·
You got way more skills than me to complete something like that. I admire that you built most of it and not just opened the parts catalog. I admire that it's something other than a straight pipe Harley motor.

That said, I hate 10 foot long choppers. I don't see the point of having no front brakes or rear suspension. To each his own.

#15 · (Edited)
I just think your mindset is different from most people's who ride V-Stroms. The chopper and cruiser crowds would be more like it. It's a function v. style argument. Stroms are all about function and very little about style. They are only cool to people unconcerned about looking cool. I have over 70,000 miles on my 2007 bike. I think that's way cooler than bar hopping. Improved brakes and suspension are infinitely cooler than removing any of either. No my friend. Choppers are awful riding tools. They are great being seen by those who appreciate them works of art.

#18 ·
...(vstrom)... are only cool to people unconcerned about looking cool..
you nailed it, GW. I hated the look of strom before i bought it. now i just cant keep my eye off her:mrgreen: Wife sometimes reminds me that all previous sports bike look a lot cooler- only time i got a dose of reality - beauty is in the eye of beholder.

#16 ·
I think it is great!

Question, will you be keeping it, or posting it here for sale after it is done?

I really like it, it would freak folks out. Kind of like my daughters 71 Chevelle SS with a Big Block Ford under the hood.... I love hearing the Chevy folks cry and whine over it.

#17 ·
Choppers hold no appeal for me but I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them. I echo the "sculpture" comment. I like the pipes in particular. With a V-strom engine, this one is out of the ordinary.

#19 ·
I'm not really one for that style either, but I think it's cool that you're doing what you want. I wish I had the skills and tools to be able to fab up whatever I wanted! It's certainly eye catching. Sometimes I get people staring at me, but I think it's just a combination of the hi-viz gear and the weirdness looking of a strom.

#20 ·
Looks like it'd eat up the fire roads, for sure. And with a normal chopper tank, you're lucky to get to the next gas station, but with the 650 motor you can go at least... 30 feet more, by my calculations!

In all seriousness, though, I think it's great. Would I ride it? No. But I also wouldn't watch Nascar, and I know a ton of people who hate coming to my house on MotoGP weekend. To each their own- who am I to judge? I think it's awesome that you resurrected the bike. Every 650 deserves a second chance at life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.