StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go here for pics http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/FrankensteinHighwayPeg

The pictures pretty much tell the story. Here's what I did:

Start with these two parts from J&P Cycles http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2006HarleyCatalog/0881.html

* Extended Male Mount Control Pegs (1" longer)
* 1" Camp-on Footpeg Set (must be 3-part clamp)

Replace the stock 6mm screws on the clamp with *slightly* longer screws so they bite into the crash bar. Home Depot labels the little bag "6mm x 10mm". They didn't bite enough to keep it from rotating, so I drilled a hole in the crash bar and used a longer 6mm screw. I can't stress enough: Don't be stingy with the Locktite.

Using this location puts the peg at the wrong angle to be useful, so drill a hole in the end of the peg and add a small generic screw. This prevents the peg from fully extending and corrects the angle so it's perpendicular to the bike. The pegs fold up nicely and are easy to kick out.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Bobosmite, thanks so much for the pics. You just filled in the blanks for me. Now my install of pegs will be a lot smoother.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very Nice! I was considering getting the Pat Walsh Crash bars/skid plate if for no other reason than to mount highway pegs. This opens up other options:wink

·
Registered
59 Posts
crash bars

Which crash bars do you have? I should be able to tell, but I can't. That is a great set up. I have the Dan Vesel highway pegs and love them but need a crash bar too.

Is there much vibration with this set up?

Thanks,

Just Bill

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
The pic looks like Givi bars on a 1000. I have a 650 with Givi bars and I am sure they will fit nearly the same.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pic looks like Givi bars on a 1000. I have a 650 with Givi bars and I am sure they will fit nearly the same.
Yep, I have Givi bars on a DL1000. As for vibration, it's pretty heavy being mounted so far away from the frame, but it's tolerable once you're cruising at higher RPMs. I normally stretch out and rest the back of my boot on top of the pegs, and the vibration almost disappears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts