StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! Im 95% going to france in july for 2 weeks. The reason i say 95% is cause the guy I was ment 2 be going with pulled out and im just debating whether or not to go on my own. Going to make my mind up by the end of the month for definate. Anyway what i want to ask is what do people think of doing a trip on your own? Anybody got experience of doing it?
Or if anyone fancied joining in that mite be an idea? Im from northern ireland and would be going to france by boat from rosslare in the south. Done it last year for the 1st time through france, switzerland and italy

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Not intenting to hijack the thread, but french stromers are gathering together end of June.
Information here: http://www.zarkass.com/vstrom/vstrom-en.htm

I ll be in France at that time, but cannot attend that event... too bad.

For the record, I would probably not intend such a long trip like yours on my own... although France is pretty safe if you avoid the big cities suburbs.
I would not worry about crash -ride carefully- and carry a small compressor along with the necessary kit for flats.
Everything else should be manageable with a Visa card and cell phone.
... remember that French are not very good in English :p ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link. Would be good to get there but unfortunatly I cant go until the start of july :(

Last year I found communicating with the french reasonably easy. My french isnt great but I know a few phrases and I found if you can get your point accross they appreciate you trying o matter how bad your effort is!! And the "Bikers Brotherhood" applys over there to. this I found out after getting lost in a town looking looking for petrol, a guy on a moto guzzi stopprd with us and lead us round the town to the petrol station. Then spent 10mins asking where we had been and where we came from even though he didnt speak aword of english!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi AndyRuss,

Just do it! you've got some kind of Euro breakdown cover right? you've got experience of France already ~ so the fuel pumps won't freak you (bank/credit card only). You know the French love it when you have a bash at speaking French, and they're pro biking.

I do speak from experience (unfinished ride report here:http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7622.0.html )

3500 miles of pure selfish fun. stop when/where you like. plus you spend less! i reckon the whole fortnight cost less than £700 inc fuel. some campsites were really cheap: one deserted one was 'free' ;)(showers/loos locked up tho').

Don't let the missus read this bit: Had a nice offer;) from a girl at one campsite (ahem), and got asked for my number by a bird at some caves i visited.... another potential advantage of going solo!

If i have any free time to spare, i'll be over there this summer again.

As you've been to the east/alps side, can i suggest the Pyrenees? Well worth it. you'll get bored of peg-scraping:D

Bon Appetit!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Steve!

I think you might of just swung it for me! To be honest I was probably going to go anyway but was just looking for someone to say something like that :p

Read your trip report as well. Great story (so far!! anymore coming?) and some great pics. If I can at least match that I'll be happy. Is that a Coleman Avior tent you have by any chance? Looks like 1 anyway. Ive just ordered that tent from a local camp shop where a friend works (mates rates lol!!) packs up nice and small and is light too.

As for my route I was thinking of heading east again, and maybe try the sothern part of the Alps (Briancon and south of that) and I like what ive seen of castellane and that area (though only in pictures). Then head west towards Millau and then northwards towards the boat home. Though now the pyrenees are going to have to looked at 2!!

Right, now where are those maps!!

Cheers again!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
good man! you know it makes sense: the Strom's perfect for this sort of thing.
sorry about the unfinished bit, gawd knows if i'll get around to it...had af ew other things to do http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,9575.0.html

Yes that is the Avior 2 ~ cracking tent for size/weight. I've several tents, that's my favorite. reason i didn't use it on the Africa trip was i needed one that would self support on sand, plus if there'd been any aggro, i would have just left the tent & scarpered (nearly did kick off one night!).

you won't go far wrong with Alps or Pyrenees ~ let the weather decide? check it out before you go or ask around campsites. you've only got yourself to please!

enjoy & ride safe, friend:cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
And some of the German-Stromers will be there in the first week of June.
From the Campingsite, in Vallon Pont d'Arc, Ardèche,

a few of us will start a 4 day-trip to the Bayerische-Wald, to the the big V-Strom-meeting in Germany

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gilla. I had read about the 8th V-strom meeting before but unfortunatly work comitments stopped me getting the time to go :(
But I will be keeping watch to find out when the next 1 is! And you will have a new visitor :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Gilla. I had read about the 8th V-strom meeting before but unfortunatly work comitments stopped me getting the time to go :(
But I will be keeping watch to find out when the next 1 is! And you will have a new visitor :p
Have a look to the German V-Strom-Forum (www.v-stromforum.de) and you will be informed:p
And better, if you will register there, you can read some threads in "Reisen und Touren" like the Ardèche-trip or tours to Norway or Sweden and so on...:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
still going on this mate? i might see you around there. I did this trip on my own last year and it was a right laugh. I fancy doing it again on the big trailee this time (last year was on a back uncomfy zx6r)

An awesome place to take in would be around munster, some awesome roads, lots of mountain bike tracks you can sneak up and down on the v strom on, glaciel lake, and an awesome camp site with static caravans for 30 euros a night! worth it to get off the floor for one night :)

i went down to st tropez and monarco, did part of italy etc - total cost for 10 days inc. fuel - £650! and that was when the fuel prices were silly. Should be a tad cheaper now.

Only french you need is "parlez vous anglais" if the reply is "non" move onto the next one ;)

and tools.. who needs tools, i didnt even take any chain lube :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JUst booked!

Alrite mate! Yep im still going ive just booked my boat so defo im going now! Leaving 6th July coming back 19th July. Still thinking about heading southwest direction but no real fixed destinations. Just see where the map takes me i think! Going to try and spend as little motorway time as possible but.

Still going on my own as well but really looking forward to it now. It'll be more of an adventure. And you are the 2nd person to say that on your own the costs are not 2 bad so thats good to know.

If you think we mite be in tghe same area at the same time you'll have to let me know. Id even let you buy me a beer!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go for it, you'll have fun

Andy, I do France every year, sometime alone sometimes not. My French is very basic but I get along. I head of to the South West, I have friends near Bordeaux that I stay with for a couple of days then just go where the wind takes me!

I'll be going this year, not fixed dates yet. If you want to PM me with your itinerary we could perhaps meet up?

JC

·
Registered
11 Posts
iam of to france on the 13th june going from newcastle to amsterdam by ferry then rideing in to france staying at caen for the d-day beaches then on to le mans , then on to millau cannes then up the n85 route napoleon to grenoble then into germany and back to amsterdam for the ferry back home its about 2200 miles in aweek , we have done france afew times and its great , you will love it

·
Registered
72 Posts
...then on to millau cannes then up the n85 route napoleon to grenoble ...
Hi - I'm a new poster, and don't even have a Strom yet. That will happen in the fall, and I'm convinced it's the right choice. Anyway, I live in Montpellier in the south of France, and can only add that the whole area around Millau (in the hills heading towards Montpellier) is fabulous, particularly as you will want to stay off the motorway, it's just boring. Stay on the back-roads as much as time allows. Possibly hit the highway to cover the long stretch from Montpellier to the Aix en Provence area, then cruise through the Lubéron countryside on your way to Cannes! Enjoy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just so you can see what I mean...

I was just riding out in the hills a few days ago... and here's what you'll be able to see a lot of south-east of Millau. Never loaded pictures here before, so I'm not sure how these'll come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cant wait to get going on this trip now! Thanks to every1 that has posted something up here its great to hear positive thoughts and you all helped make my mind up for me! :D

Stiil not completly sure of any itinaries JC but if I come up with a rough plan I will pm you and we could if our paths will cross anytime.

Was wondering something else 2. Would a sat nav be a good investment? Im happy enough withs maps but maybe a sat nav would come in useful when going through towns etc? Any thoughts welcome

·
Registered
72 Posts
And how was it?

I cant wait to get going on this trip now! Thanks to every1 that has posted something up here its great to hear positive thoughts and you all helped make my mind up for me! :D
I'm actually hoping you'll check back into this thread and tell us where you went and how you enjoyed it... South of France should have been a great place to ride. And the weather? Possibly an occasional downpour, but otherwise sunny and hot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
well iam back 2350 miles around france it was great riding on great roads seeing the sights , petrols a bit pricey 1,37 euros per lt , cheaper in the supermarkets at 1.25lt but they tend to be credit card and mine didnt work , so have aword with your bank or card lender before you go , i gave the bank acall from france they sorted with a few hours , we stayed at camp sites and they have everything you need showers etc , we paid from 6-8 euros a night we had a great time .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts