StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I buy a 2018 or 2019 DL 650, which frames and side cases work better, fit closer to the bike, and stay secure ? If possible, list costs of each. I don’t need a lot of storage. But I do not want a trunk. Just hard side cases that don’t stick out excessively. Maybe enough for a overnight change of clothes, extra shoes and the likes. Appreciate any feed back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After I buy a 2018 or 2019 DL 650, which frames and side cases work better, fit closer to the bike, and stay secure ? If possible, list costs of each. I don’t need a lot of storage. But I do not want a trunk. Just hard side cases that don’t stick out excessively. Maybe enough for a overnight change of clothes, extra shoes and the likes. Appreciate any feed back.
Lotta options out there...I recently purchased the Hepco Becker C-Bow Carrier and Royster bags, they also have an Orbit hard case for that system. Great quality, minimalist setup. Around $500 . The Oem hard bags are around $700 with mounting hardware, mixed reviews on those. Many options out there, Givi, SW Motech, Wolfman, it can get kinda $$$...Good Luck

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I just purchased the factory cases for $650. Haven't received them yet and have heard they are hard to pack. There seem to be compromises with all the choices, but I think the factory ones get the weight in the closest to the bike, which ought to help backroad handling.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think the Givi E22N meets your criterion. They're very light, inexpensive & slim, and they top load so they're easy to stuff full. I thought they looked great with the angular lines on my Versys, but not as good of a visual match on the V-strom, so I sold them with the bike.

FYI, I have a set of like-new Givi Monokey mounting racks (PL3112) that I'm about to list for sale if interested. They're for '17+ models. (message me your ZIP code for a quote with shipping) -- Edit: Posted for sale *HERE*

I'd steer away from the OEM cases. They fit tight to the bike, but the internal shape is odd and with them being side loading they're hard to pack. Very impractical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the Givi E22N meets your criterion. They're very light, inexpensive & slim, and they top load so they're easy to stuff full. I thought they looked great with the angular lines on my Versys, but not as good of a visual match on the V-strom, so I sold them with the bike.

Do the Givi's mount on either side? I feel like those side cases would have looked better if they were on the opposite sides (high side to the back). I know the factory bags on my K7 can be mounted both ways, but unsure of the Givi.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
My plan on dealing with the odd shape and side opening factory cases is to pack everything in small bags. I think that will make it easier to optimize the volume and shut the door. Soft bags have appeal to me, so would consider that down the road.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
You could get an inexpensive set of side frames and the get some low cost cases from a myriad of sources including Home Depot.
Depends on your level of DYI and budget.
Seems a google search in the upper right corner of the page should take you to a number of posts and threads already done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. Getting excited, but I have several priorities that get done -before I splurge on myself.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's a great season to buy. Keep an eye open for a used one. In July got my pristine 2017 with 1,800 miles for only $5400, and it had a few expensive add-ons too.

Search nation wide. Shipping is easier/cheaper than you might think using Uship.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a 17/650 and I'm just starting to search for a good solid set of side racks and hard luggage. No field test yet but I just tossed over my older Mosk reckless 80 unloaded and it seems to fit without any modifications. Think it should work with just the one heat shield for the muffler as well. Should be able to load it all up and give it good testing with a break in bike run this weekend.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did things the wrong way around, I really wanted a good solid rack mostly just so I could drop the bike and not mess it up.

I bought a Givi pl3112 for relatively cheap ($220 ish CAD)

I was going to lash nelson riggs dry bags to it, but after watching long way round and seeing how hard cases saved Ewan from being hurt in a rear end accident I think I'm going to buy burly aluminum side cases just cause... With any luck I'll find em used :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts