StromTrooper banner

Frame guard & lifting dropped bikes

2590 11
I'm over 50 and have a slim build at 6ft 145lbs. Picking up my VEE, which I dropped twice on a mountain trip, lead me to a case of bursitis in my left shoulder.

Wondering if anyone has a frame guard which doesn't put the VEE completely flat on the ground? Lifting from a more accute angle putting less strain on my back and shoulders.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If this is a frequent occurrance I'd consider having someone weld some semi circular hoops to your existing crash bars. I'd avoid any sort of bolt on pucks since they will tend to grab and sink into dirt

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I'm over 50 and have a slim build at 6ft 145lbs. Picking up my VEE, which I dropped twice on a mountain trip, lead me to a case of bursitis in my left shoulder.

Wondering if anyone has a frame guard which doesn't put the VEE completely flat on the ground? Lifting from a more accute angle putting less strain on my back and shoulders.
Adding more width to the bike so it doesn't lay flat is only going to work on a flat surface right?

Better to learn multiple ways to pick up the bike for differing conditions.

Bret Tkacs has a couple of good vids

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody makes luggage guards for Vstroms. Keeps the bike more upright and more importantly saves the expensive luggage.

Reactions: xtian

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Adding more width to the bike so it doesn't lay flat is only going to work on a flat surface right?

Better to learn multiple ways to pick up the bike for differing conditions.

Bret Tkacs has a couple of good vids.
10-4 on the videos. I haven't seen him around for awhile. The last was at the 2019 Mpls bike show.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody makes luggage guards for Vstroms. Keeps the bike more upright and more importantly saves the expensive luggage.
The V-Stroms are pretty wide with the stock luggage already, IMHO. Guards would need to mount another inch or so outboard which may be problematic on some trails. Besides, epoxy-filled cracks & scrapes are badges of honor.
I don't use my OEM Suzuki panniers very often, opting instead for my Chase Harper soft bags for wknd trips.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I actually made a moto-jack from some square tube and brought it on that trip, but the ratchet disintegrated when I used it. Now that I have a few more scratches on the bike and this developing medical condition, I feel more inclined to intentionally put the bike on the ground to test.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive exterior Auto part

I've added a new ratchet, and you can see it all here.
Luggage and bags Bag Webbing Sleeve Personal protective equipment

As far as the comments about lifting is easy if you know how to do it, that's not what's at issue. I've spoken to a few others who ride Harley with luggage racks and stuff, and that's how I realized just how 'flat' my VEE gets when it takes a nap. I'm thinking its much harder to get the bike up from flat--your legs are compressed, your butt is nearly on the ground. The bike literally weighs more flat. The situation puts more strain on your muscles, and this last trip is making me realize I'm getting to the age where stuff just starts breaking...

Automotive tire Knee Sports uniform Exercise equipment Elbow

[EDIT--found the gif]
I just bought the bike last summer, so I'm giving it some time. If I can't modify it to make it a better lift, I'm considering if I should sell it and get a WEE.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
I made my own crashbars and luggage rack for my DL-650. The crashbars I made out of black iron pipe that I purchased at my local Home Depot. The luggage rack I made out of a repurposed cafeteria table from our local high school. Having already used aftermarket equipment in these two areas, I found that those designs were inadequate for me. I designed and built my own. Both the luggage rack and the crashbars had "extensions" to keep the bike farther up off of the ground, then the "normal" aftermarket gear. The photos that I shot of me building this stuff are "buried" on another hard drive. However, I do have a story that illustrates how my luggage rack and crashbars work, in a real life situation. Maybe what I did could provide you with some ideas/inspiration to develop your own solutions for your particular situation. Follow this link: "My Crash"

Reactions: xtian

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The photos that I shot of me building this stuff are "buried" on another hard drive. However, I do have a story that illustrates how my luggage rack and crashbars work, in a real life situation.
I will check it out when I have more time. But I did get to the second page where you put a leash on your oil cap—I would totally do that! Haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.