StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "frame cover" is a body panel right underneath the seat and gas tank, and it runs to the tail end with at least 1/2 of the pannier bracket (if you have the service manual this is noted on Exterior Parts, 9D-3)

The section under the gas tank and seat has two screws. For me one of these is has bad threads, and sits about 3/32 from completely flush--won't go any further.
I bought a replacement screw (Suzuki part number 09139-05074), but I can't tell what size it is.

I expected it to be metric, but if I measure it with a micrometer, it's 0.22 in or 4.76 mm in diameter. And the threads are every 1/32nd.

What size tap should I get given these values, because that doesn't seem to match anything I can find.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I don't know the bolt you are talking about but most bolts are M6.

A good guide is the handlebar clamp bolts are m8 & the bolts that keep the stator cover on are m6 you should be able to work it out from there.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Looking at the parts sketch #5 in https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2014/v-strom-dl1000al4/frame-cover, the screw is listed as Bolt (5x13) 09139-05074 and part #9 is listed as Screw 47913-31J00. Perhaps you can take the bolt / screw from the opposite cover to measure the thread pitch and / or check that it screws into the position where you have a concern. At least that way you will be able to confirm whether you have to re-tap the thread or have the wrong fastener.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Perhaps you can take the bolt / screw from the opposite cover..."
That's a good idea. I'll check the other screws in that series on both sides to see if the last owner put in the wrong part.

@Rolex says, "most bolts are M6."

The problem is the thread pitch. The screw will start, but won't go flush.
I also bought a replacement screw #11 (09139-06120). I measured this and it is M6. This #5 is smaller.

The screw #5 which I'm having trouble with has a diameter just shy under 5mm--so M5.
I used my vernier caliper and the thread pitch on the replacement #5 is ~0.7.

The Service manual doesn't even list M5.
There is a gap in documentation.
Font Material property Parallel Document Symmetry

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
If you want to post a photo of the bolt and it's placement I will pull mine and give you the details you need.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to post a photo of the bolt and it's placement I will pull mine and give you the details you need.
That’s a generous offer. Thank you.

Over the weekend I went to the hardware store and figured out it’s M5 x 0.8. I bought a tap and some HeliCoils as backup. Soon as I get the other tools together I will report back the results.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Giving thanks on Thanksgiving (2021-11-25)

Been super busy lately, and today I wanted to take my morning and give thanks for peeps who answered my questions by following up the stories.

So this post about bolt sizes. Geez. This was a sort of daft question.
Thinking back though, I was frustrated. I bought this damn Service Manual for $100 and I expected it to be accurate to these details.

After watching several videos about threads, I felt confident I understood all the differences I was encountering at the hardware store, and screws I'm buying from online.

Special thanks to @Rolex for offering to measure from their 2014. Way cool.

Hope everyone is having a safe autumn (notice I didn't say fall), and...
...keep your head up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts