StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I own a '09 Wee with 8000 miles on it.

Today I was prepping it for a 2 week ride to New Mexico (from BC Canada) and I noticed that a wire harnes/sheath/wires has experienced some high heat and melted down about 6" of the casing. I looked in side and the wire insulation has also melted off and some of the copper wires is covered in green corresion.

I am leaving on Monday so I'm going to cover up the holes with liquid electrical tape for now until I can get it replaced.

It located on the left side of the bike and the group of wires goes just in front of the coolant reseviour tank. I followed the wires up and they go into a white connector (no damage) and from there the group of wires go into the gas tank sensor.

I have not noticed any electrical problems (yet). I'd like to order a new harness and have it installed along my trip somewhere.

What would the part number be or what should I ask the Suzuki dealer to order?

What sort of problems could I run into if things state to go within the harness?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why don't you just replace the sections of damaged wire? If you solder them in, it will serve as new without all of the expense.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, told ya I was a repair newb!

Any suggestions on how to remove the harness from the bike? The melted outer casing section looks to go down and out of site so I'd like to remove the entire harness to have a look.

Also I looked at where the wires go into the connector at the top and they are baked as well so I would need a new plug end as well.

I think a re and re with a new harness may be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am not 100% certain based on the angle of the picture, but I think that harness goes into more than a gas tank sensor - I think that is the harness to the fuel pump.
Which means if they go, you don't.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krykee!!

It goes into a grey coloured circuliar disk about 3" in diametre mounted to the bottom of the gas tank....

·
Registered
980 Posts
That would be the one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any Idea what that harness is called so I can sound somewhat intellegent when I call my local suzuki dealer for help...?

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right its the one that conencts to the wires going to the fuel pump, I was hoping I could just disconnect it down below and insert a new chunk of harness but if its part of the main wiring harness I'll be in for some serious $$$

FYI, your link did not work for me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What kind of "high heat" made that happen? Do you remember anything specifically? I also have an '09 with over 11,000 miles. Kind of makes me want to check that area out since I have been using it going to different states lately...:beatnik:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Link is fixed. It looks like it is all one piece, but I would think it should be possible to repair that section.
I am surprised about the damage, as well. Any chance that that portion of the harness got pinched against the frame, possibly between the frame and the fuel tank?

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Can't you get down far enough to replace the wires to the connector? Even if it goes into the main harness you should be able to split it open and repair. I wouldn't consider replacing the entire harness, just fix what you have. I would definitely not go on your trip until you get this sorted and figure out what caused it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. That part of the harness it mobile when the tank is lowered and can be pinched. Repair rather than harness replacement is the way to go. Replace the damaged sections with new wire spliced in. Liquid vinyl is not a good fix.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nope nothing unusual that I can remember.

Are there any warranty recalls I wonder...?

I'm thinkin I'm looking at a new wiring harness as I can see where this wire harness enters the larger harness which runs horizontal on the bike and there is no plug at that intersection, the wires look like they just join the larger diametre wire harness. I could also see that the wire's insulation is cooked as well where it goes into the bigger harness.

So as a temperorary fix till I get it diagnosed should I spray the entire cooked harness with WD40 to limit further oxydation etc during the ride or just encase the entire harness with liquid electrical tape as best I can?

Edit: nope no pinched wires as I have not ever moved the tank. I've only had the bike on the road a week this season in the dry, based on the extent of the exposed wire weathering it must have happend last year (bike was stored all winter in heated garage), so it was not a recent event. Good suggestion about only replaceing the cooked wires and not the entire harness! I'll be asking the Zuk dealer for some ideas as I'll be stopping in on Tuesday as I pass through south. I think I'll be making an appointment at some Zuk dealer along the route which is crappy (especially for the two folks riding with me) but I won't take it to the local Zuk dealer (we only hve one in town) as they don't have a good rep and I have to leave on Monday to attend a meeting on the way to my ride (and they are not open on Monday). Keeping my fingees crossed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guy
You may want to delay your departure from Kamloops and bring the bike by my place and I can splice some new wiring in there for you. In the meantime, wrap the area with electricians tape.

Anyone know what gauge wire that is so i can make sure I have the right stuff on hand?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not an electrical guy, but I would be more worried if the melting occured from heat generated from the wire itself. Could this be the case?

·
38,103 Posts
So as a temperorary fix till I get it diagnosed should I spray the entire cooked harness with WD40 to limit further oxydation etc during the ride or just encase the entire harness with liquid electrical tape as best I can?
Don't do that. Surface oxidation is not a problem. WD40 would just make insulating difficult. At least cut away the damaged cover and separate the wires. Liquid will involve thin spots and bare spots you may not see so tape is better wherever you can get it. Cutting out one damaged wire at a time and splicing new wire in is a permanent fix. A new harness is very expensive and hard to install. Your questions and remedies indicate you have no experience doing wiring. If that is the case, have it done by somebody who is. You may have had a rodent gnaw off insulation while the bike was hibernating. Wire doesn't get exposed by itself. It was eaten or pinched. Bare wires shorting together create heat and melting insulation.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good morning Doug, that is a great offer, most kind of you.

I'll be rolling Loops Monday afternoon and will take you up on your awesome offer.

Massive Karma points heading your way :thumbup:

·
38,103 Posts
Anyone know what gauge wire that is so i can make sure I have the right stuff on hand?
It most likely 18ga. With a length that short, it isn't critical.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A few wees have had a problem in that area with the harness rubbing against a sharp spot on the frame. Cable tie the harness back from the frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts