StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody suggest a source for BRIGHT (preferably amber) LED lights to mount on the fairing? I'd like to increase frontal visibility with lights in contrasting color to the headlights, but turn signal running light conversions seem kind of a half-measure since they aren't very bright -- like a lot of cagers, in fact. I'm hoping for something that will be bright enough to be mildly annoying, and straight-ahead directional for maximum impact (umm...maybe poor choice of word there - LOL). I particularly want LEDs for their limited power draw since these lights will be wired into the headlight circuit for always-on use.

So does anyone make small, amber LED foglights or the equivalent? I guess white would work as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've used both:
Custom Dynamics
and
SuperBrightLED's
Both have decent selection and have received promptly. I use the 5w 1156 and 1157 replacement LED's from SuperBrightLEDs all around and they are brighter than stock - although not bright enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some of the companies that make LED lights for police and such make some nice small LED lights that will fit your needs. I don't remember the companies but it may have been Whelen or Federal Signal. You might want to check Gall's or some other police equipment companies for them. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, guys. the LIN3s look like exactly what I want. I intend to mount them horizontally, BTW, since my Wee has undergone a side-panellectomy and I intend to mount them under the headlight nacelle on the brackets where the chin piece used to attach.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Another source of stuff. Vehiclelight.com

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Be aware

If you mount these fairly close to the headlights, they probably won't be seen in the headlight glare. I've been thinking about mounting some on or by the mirrors, as they'd turn when you do, and they'd be high enough and far enough from the headlights to be seen. With LED lights, I doubt the mass would be sufficient to aggravate any tendency for the handlebars to shake.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points, Jimding. Maybe I'll mess around with some alternative mounting locations.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Reviving an old thread here, since I'm looking for the same thing as the OP and found a couple I hadn't previously seen mentioned before. Either of these could be mounted with a simple bracket on the front fender bolt, and the Nova maybe could be mounted directly on the bolt.

15 LED 3" Single Face Light + Reflector -- $21/each, made for semis.

Nova WIC3 round LEDs --
$55/each, but 56 wide-angle LEDs, 4" diameter, and only 1/3 inch thick! Made for emergency vehicles, so you know they're bright. Also available as surface mount, and in red or red/amber split (think sidecase brakelight/signal).

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Nice! Now I'm torn between getting these:

Or these Hella Optilux:

With some 35 watt yellow bulbs.

Mounted on the Pat Walsh Lightbar.

I had those Optilux 1500's on the same lightbar, and I wanted 35W yellow bulbs but couldn't find any. A fellow trooper pointed me to some yellow film that adheres to the lens, but unfortunately it didn't change the color as much as I hoped. The lights were a great deal and worked fine, although after less than a year the finish was starting to deteriorate in places. I want to put something a little higher quality on the new bike for improving my vision.

But for being seen, something down on the forks away from the headlights is better, and LEDs fit the bill nicely with their resistance to vibration. The low power draw means you can run them all the time, even with driving lights too.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm the original poster, and I finally went with Whelen TIR3 ambers. They are BRIGHT!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm the original poster, and I finally went with Whelen TIR3 ambers. They are BRIGHT!
Those are near the top of my list. Do they actually project any usable light onto the road?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you thought about just installing a headlight modulator? They'll get you ALL the attention you'll ever need!

·
Registered
537 Posts
i have the whelen tir3's in white under my fairing and they do help. I have a set of amber tir3's, but can't find a good fork mounting spot yet. i have all the swivel brackets that are a big help.

anyone looking to add handguard lighting look at the signal dynamics site they offer a 2 pack of amber lights. i really need to post a pic of my bike all lit up.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are near the top of my list. Do they actually project any usable light onto the road?
No. These are the same lightheads that emergency vehicles use as flashers (they can be programmed to flash if you want) so they are for conspicuity only.
I've never quite understood why LEDs which are painfully bright when you look into them don't cast more light generally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts