StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's been proven time and time again that marketing works.

Some people simply believe if they paid more it must be better. Try to convince "them" otherwise and some will get offended without being able to tell you why theirs is better...except it must be because I paid twice as much.

In the example above, it appears in some cases you could actually be paying more and getting less.

Marketing works and always has, especially when it comes to premium products, fancy packaging, and unproveable statements like improves engine life, lasts longer, better fuel economy, lower emissions, reduces engine wear etc.

Now having said that, we've seen YouTube videos showing some paper filters are better than others, so I suppose its buyer beware and as always, do your homework...or not. :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Only a comment.

The reason for using a bypass filter isn't to cope with a filter clogged with metal fragments, it's to cope with water getting into the oil. (Pretty common problem with some makes of bike). That destroys the paper filters ability to pass oil and kills the engine, where if the filter bypasses provided there isn't much water and you do spot it and fix whatever caused that the engine will generally survive.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
614 Posts
Most healthy normally maintained engines will/would survive just fine w/o an oil filter.
I don't understand how people can obsess to such a degree over how much better/worse one brand over another can be. (And I'm a bit OCD myself about stuff)
It's SuperTech filters if/when I can get them for the application.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
In regards to Oil filters, auto's and motorcycles are Apples and Oranges. The majority of motorcycles have combined engines and gearboxes plus wet clutches which equals more wear materials in the oil.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
614 Posts
In regards to Oil filters, auto's and motorcycles are Apples and Oranges. The majority of motorcycles have combined engines and gearboxes plus wet clutches which equals more wear materials in the oil.
Been motorcycles built for many past decades that are still running that didn't have filters and the oil wasn't nearly as good either.
They make us feel better.
Have dissected several various oil filters. Never found much even with some moderate magnification.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I too built and raced motorcycles for years e.g. Norton Dommies, Manx and SS. Much simpler materials and construction than todays bikes. And tearing down todays modern unit engines is usually a PITA in comparison😉.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Our engines do need a filter. The problem is that the wet clutch sheds particles off the friction plates and they do need to be filtered out.
Though typically not the tupperware container load of filings as per the video, more like a teaspoon over the life of the clutch :).
The filter needs to be there but it certainly doesn't need to be replaced every oil change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts