StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, a group of us from southern Michigan got together for a ride in the Irish Hills area of Michigan. We had a great time, and got to talking about the idea of forming a club of sorts for riders in southern Michigan, northwest Ohio, northern/northeast Indiana, and SW Ontario. Anybody else would be welcome to join, as well; the main goal is to keep it within a reasonable riding distance (ideally under 2 hours each way, for example) for those wanting to attend group riding events.

I was thinking of trying to set up at least one ride a month through the season, in various locations within the "region" (so we all get to experience some new places and also to share the "longest ride in" load). We will try to find a day where as many can make it as possible, but knowing not everyone will be able to make every ride.

We can work out other events (maybe a group bonfire party or something of the sort) as things progress and we see how many people are interested. If we have enough interest, we should be able to get a sticky saved for posting events.

What do you think? Who is interested?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm certainly in for it.

Another possible event type thing would to be have a 'tech day'. Help folks with a TBS, offer advice on farkle install etc.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Is there a morals clause to be a member?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a morals clause to be a member?
If there is, I'm in trouble, lol.

Main rule: we have fun! I like popnfresh's idea of maybe doing a "tech day" kind of thing, too. We all have had different experiences and insights on maintenance, upgrades, etc. It would be good to be able to share with the bikes actually there to work on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was thinking of trying to set up at least one ride a month through the season, in various locations within the "region" (so we all get to experience some new places and also to share the "longest ride in" load).
I'd probably be able to make it every other month or so. By the principle of nominative determinism we could make Strom Park in Fenton our HQ. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any members near that area and I don't know if there are good roads. (It looks to be about 45 minutes north of Ann Arbor.)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course, there is also Strom Township in northern Ontario, but that's a bit of a haul, too!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bumping this up - any more interest? We are going to shoot for a ride in the Irish Hills area on the 18th of July - see that thread for details.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm in. I just started to dissect MI a little more. We just returned home yesterday from an overnight trip checking out the roads, barbecue, and lodging from South Haven to Whitehall and Montague.

I've a real good grip on a route in Southern IN but that may be too far away for some. I could also help with a route in NE Indiana/Northwest OH. I have those roads memorized but I'm sure they would be fresh to other riders.

I have garage with a lift and an air compressor and can do any work except tire changes. Bad thing is, I do live in a subdivision.

Let's ride, eat, and look at stuff!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definitely not dead - just hoping for a few more responses so I can start bugging Big B about creating a sticky for us. I will see if he feels we have enough.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Count me in

Just saw your ad here. Count me in. I lived in the Irish Hills area all my life. I now live in Hillsdale County. I'll watch for activity here.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have sent a request about posting a sticky for activities. I have also set up a group for us: http://www.stromtrooper.com/group.php?groupid=14

Hopefully this will get the ball rolling. Still shooting for another Irish Hills area ride on July 18, meeting at noon at the gas station just south of I-94 exit 150 (Grass Lake).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey Michigan Oh/Il/In/Wis/Mis Strommers!!!!!!!!!!

We're looking for more stroms to ride with us on the 18th!!! I'll be a first timer to ride with a V-strom group and hope that some of you other strommers out there can come too!! Especially you guys/gals within 50-100 miles from the Irish Hills area. There must be at least 10-15 of us in this geography. Come on lets get a nice group together and show off the stroms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm in! (sometimes)

I am interested yet would be an irregular participant. (insert comments about eating more fiber, here)

I am about 80 miles east of Toledo so within the range.
Keep me posted.

Just got back from the Rapid City get together. What a hoot! Went via St. Lewis and Denver before turning norto towards South Dakota. Just under 3700 mi on the trip. My Blue baby ran like a champ! (can't say that for one of my buddies who rode along on a 99 road king. Cracked a piston and a cyllinder about 4 hrs east of Rapid City on his way home. He had to put it in a Budget truck to haul it home. Bummer.)

Peace...
Alex

·
Registered
215 Posts
ride

Hey I think I can make that one! just leaving 07/09/09 for a small trip to the blue ridge/ deals gap, but will be back by then. let me know-----John Sarver:eek:

1 - 20 of 251 Posts