StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of bikes ago I had a DL-650. (Should never have gotten rid of it.) I appreciate what I learned from reading these forums at the time. One thing I noticed was that most people were very happy with their Wee-Strom but if they were to get a different bike, an Aprilia would be high on their list, maybe not, because Aprilias are a little more expensive.

Well, I have wound up with a new '09 Aprilia Shiver and would like to turn it into a perfect condition well maintained low mileage DL-650. This Shiver has only 1500 miles on it, never been down, great condition, and most of the two year factory warranty remains. It's a great bike and that 95 horsepower really sings, but since acquiring it, I have come to realize that an Aprilia owner should be reasonably handy to an Aprilia dealer because the bike is so heavily computerized and the dealers have an expensive gadget that is required to analyze faults, change mapping, etc. And I'm 400 miles from my nearest dealer. (Denver) I haven't had any problems yet, and maybe I won't, but one reason for choosing a Shiver was my recollection of how smooth a 90 degree V twin is from the Wee-Strom.

Was wondering if anyone here would like to trade, maybe even, for a Shiver?
I could brag a lot about the Shiver, but would recommend you not consider it if you are not reasonably handy to an Aprilia dealer. Close to the Denver area would be great, as I have a son in Colorado Springs where we could meet for inspections, etc. if handy for you. If you are interested with a really clean DL-650, give me a PM and we can exchange info.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
most people were very happy with their Wee-Strom but if they were to get a different bike, an Aprilia would be high on their list
What? Are you high? Just kidding!

Who says most Wee owners would put Aprilia high on their list? I've never heard that even though may owners may respect Italian bikes as nice.

Also I thought the Shiver had much much less than 95hp at the rear wheel. Numerous reports have listed the rear wheel hp between 73-77 hp (Motorcycle.com found 73hp on dyno, MC News measured 77.3; Motorcyclist found the similar Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 has 75.2hp). Unfortunately, manufacturers are notorious for exaggerated hp ratings which causes much confusion for consumers. Further Motorcyclist said the similar Dorsoduro sounds like an SV650 and that a test rider was wishing for their old SV.

Maybe a couple of the Aprilia models are a bit overrated. Last I checked my local Aprilia dealer no longer carries the brand. Poor dealer network and weak re-sale value, though they have had a number of cool models (Futura, Tuono, Caponard to name a few).

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I have come to realize that an Aprilia owner should be reasonably handy to an Aprilia dealer because the bike is so heavily computerized and the dealers have an expensive gadget that is required to analyze faults, change mapping, etc...............
Way to create interest! :thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Could tell ya if anyone would be intrested in a trade or not. I think the only other bike that "might" raise a bit of temptation for me would be the Multistrata 1200. That is if they werent 20 grand. I have never heard any one express intrest in a Aprilla. Good luck though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What? Are you high? Just kidding!

Who says most Wee owners would put Aprilia high on their list? I've never heard that even though may owners may respect Italian bikes as nice.

Also I thought the Shiver had much much less than 95hp at the rear wheel. Numerous reports have listed the rear wheel hp between 73-77 hp (Motorcycle.com found 73hp on dyno, MC News measured 77.3; Motorcyclist found the similar Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 has 75.2hp). Unfortunately, manufacturers are notorious for exaggerated hp ratings which causes much confusion for consumers. Further Motorcyclist said the similar Dorsoduro sounds like an SV650 and that a test rider was wishing for their old SV.

Maybe a couple of the Aprilia models are a bit overrated. Last I checked my local Aprilia dealer no longer carries the brand. Poor dealer network and weak re-sale value, though they have had a number of cool models (Futura, Tuono, Caponard to name a few).
Sorry, didn't mean to imply the Shiver has 95 rear wheel horsepower, the 95 is crankshaft horsepower; rear wheel hp runs 15 - 20% less than crankshaft hp, so 75 is in the ball park. I rode an SV before I got the Aprilia, you couldn't get me on one again, never cared for the "monkey making love to a watermelon" riding position.

When I said most Wee-Strom owners loved their Wee-Stroms, I didn't mean to say they all wanted Aprilias, only one or two said so, hope I can find one of them! Nationally, the Aprilia dealer network is atrocious with a few great exceptions (AF1 Racing in Texas is notable). I have no intention of mis-representing anything, even if I fooled a buyer, I wouldn't be fooling myself.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Shiver is Italian. In simple language that means it is BEAUTIFUL. I have a dealer about 20 minutes away and he has one on the floor. Lovely machine for sure, but it is an Italian Mistress. We all know what they are like...extremely beautiful, fun, fast, HOT...and well...you know the rest....Lovely things for the right person...

Step up from a Vstrom is a Triumph Tiger....I know....been down that road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor dealer network and weak re-sale value,
Tell me about it! List price was $9k. (New ones are $10k.) I got it for $7k because it was a new '09. I'm willing to trade even for a clean Wee-Strom that books around $5k; that's a pretty quick slide from $9k to $5k in only 1500 miles. (See, Shivers are fast!)
Nothing new for me though, seems like I've spent a lifetime buying high and selling low...

·
Registered
122 Posts
The worst part of changing out bikes is the hassle and expense of selling your current ride, and the DMV taxes, fees, inspections, and call to the insurance company to complete the new purchase. Since the pool of people who specifically wish to sell a DL650 AND buy an Aprilia are small, You may need to wait for a nice V-Strom to pop up for sale in your area and sell your Aprilia then. it sounds as if you got a good deal on it, so it should sell for more than it will cost you to pick up the Strom. In the meantime, enjoy that Aprilia!

·
Registered
552 Posts
The worst part of changing out bikes is the hassle and expense of selling your current ride, and the DMV taxes, fees, inspections, and call to the insurance company to complete the new purchase. Since the pool of people who specifically wish to sell a DL650 AND buy an Aprilia are small, You may need to wait for a nice V-Strom to pop up for sale in your area and sell your Aprilia then. it sounds as if you got a good deal on it, so it should sell for more than it will cost you to pick up the Strom. In the meantime, enjoy that Aprilia!
+1
If that bike is that low mileage and clean it has resale value. While they are not common there are people out there who want them. The Shiver is one great looking machine. Problem is many are not yet aware of it. If it were I...I would take good care of it but RIDE it in the mean time. Put it up for sale while you are waiting. Once sold you should easily have more than enough left to buy the Wee.

I sold a KLR when I got my Wee. I was in Ohio and a guy in Georgia came up and got it. Run some adds, you might be surprised. You will find a good used Wee out there. They exist.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Tell me about it! List price was $9k. (New ones are $10k.) I got it for $7k because it was a new '09. I'm willing to trade even for a clean Wee-Strom that books around $5k; that's a pretty quick slide from $9k to $5k in only 1500 miles. (See, Shivers are fast!)
Nothing new for me though, seems like I've spent a lifetime buying high and selling low...
Brand new vehicles are rarely a profitable investment, but some are much worse than others. Sounds like it may be time to start buying low, maybe try buying used + a model that will hold value.

I've bought and sold many used bikes cheap and sold 1-3 years later with no real loss but all have been Japanese bikes.

In my experience there is usually a good reason why certain European vehicles (cars too) have horrible re-sale. For example, I've learned the hard way why Saabs and BMW cars (cars not bikes) have very poor re-sale especially once the miles get to a certain point and once the warranty wears off no one wants 'em.

Why is it that a $40000 BMW or Saab with 80,000 miles sells used for about the same used price as a Honda or Toyota of the same model year? It is a simple fact that a truly reliable brand holds better re-sale with rare exception.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts